Pages

Friday, November 13, 2009

All In One Holiday Cake


Did you know that November 15th is 'National Bundt Day'? It probably isn't on your calendar but it's presence is felt in blog land. Check out The Food Librarian she has been making 'bundts' for the last 30 days. The Tuesdays With Dorie baking group also made a delicious bundt cake this month. I couldn't quit thinking about it, the reviews were great. I tried to talk myself out of making it, do I really need a bundt cake right now? But trust me you need to make this cake! It is full of everything fall, I gave it 5 stars.

All In One Holiday Cake is from my favorite cookbook 'Baking: From My Home To Yours", by Dorie Greenspan. You need this cookbook, put it on your Christmas list.
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/4 sticks butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin puree
1 large apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
1 cup cranberries, halved or coarsely chopped
1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped

Whisk together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
Beat together butter and sugars in stand mixer with a paddle attachment  on medium speed untill light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, and beat for one minute after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Reduce mixer speed to low and add the pumpkin and chopped apple--don't be concerned if the mixture looks curdled. Still on low speed, add the dry ingredients, mixing only until they are incorporated. With a rubber spatula, stir in the cranberries and pecans. Scrape the batter into a bundt pan, I like my Pampered Chef Stoneware pan. I spray my bundt pan with a good amount of 'Bakers Joy'. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-70 minutes, my cake baked for about 56 minutes, a thin knife inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean.
Transfer cake  to cooling rack for 10 minutes before unmolding. Let cool to room temperature, just before serving dust cake with powdered sugar.


I'm sure a slice of this cake counts as a serving of fruit. It is great toasted with a bit of butter for breakfast or brunch, top it with some whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you have a delicious dessert.

3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Great looking cake! I love this bundt. so delicious!

The Food Librarian said...

What a fantastic looking Bundt! Mine is in the oven right now. Happy National Bundt Day!!! - mary the food librarian

Jelli said...

I just found this link from Your Homebased Mom. This cake sounds phenomenal and looks pretty attractive too. I have some fresh pumpkin puree in my freezer waiting for an Ina Garten parfait, but it may just find it's way into this cake instead!