Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Crunchy Granola


 I have a granola recipe that I love and have made for years. It is rich with butter, sweetened with honey and flavored with cinnamon and nutmeg, it is delicious.
So why another granola recipe? I guess it is like chocolate chip cookies, you really can like more than one recipe. This granola is sweetened with dark brown sugar and maple syrup. The only real seasoning is salt. So it is salty, sweet and very crunchy. It cooks at a low temperature; therefore it is not as easy to overcook. This is important because I have been known to overcook my granola. There is a difference between overcooked and crunchy!
So here is a yummy recipe for:
 Crunchy Granola
3 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
3/4 cup slivered almonds
3/4 cup cashews
3/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
3/8 cup dark brown sugar
3/8 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
 In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts and coconut. In a bowl combine brown sugar, maple syrup, oil and salt. Combine both mixtures by slowly pouring the liquid over the oatmeal mixture and stirring well.
Spread on large parchment lined baking sheet. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 250, until golden. Cool and enjoy. Be prepared to make another batch--it disappears quickly.

Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe



5 comments:

Trisha said...

The granola looks lovely ... its also a nice, simple recipe.

Jenn Erickson said...

Mmmm...homemade granola is the best, and yours sounds fantastic. I love the use of maple syrup, and those cashews completely won me over!

Thank you so much for linking up to "A Little Birdie Told Me..."!

Jenn

Anonymous said...

OK - not only do I want to do this recipe I also need the recipe for whatever brownie looking goodness is in your header!! That is one gorgeous looking treat!!

This is PERFECT for my new weekly linky party - Foodie Friday! If you got a sec, please link up!

Found you on Blue Cricket Design!

Candace said...

Hi Cindy! Thanks so much for stopping by to see me today and for leaving such a sweet comment. I, also, want to thank you for alerting me to your wonderful granola recipe. My family and I would love this granola so much. I'm going to get the ingredients and make it with some of my NH maple syrup. I'm so sorry that you missed the giveaway. You could have put that maple syrup to good use! I've spent some time looking through your wonderful recipes and want to tell you how very much I've enjoyed my visit. I'm your newest follower so I'll be looking forward to getting to know you. You will see me again and often! Have a beautiful week and thanks again! Candace

Angie - Big Bears Wife said...

granola is so great for breakfast and for yogurt! yum!