Pages

Monday, February 23, 2009

Surprise Cookies


My daughter Amber was kind enough to send me the Martha Stewart's Cookies Cookbook. I love cookbooks, I read them like novels! This is a great cookbook it has beautiful photography, fun packaging ideas and great recipes.
Put it on your birthday or Mothers Day wish list. My kids love it when I have a wish list--then they don't have to hack into my Amazon or Endless shopping cart!
Enough chatter, great recipe, I did make a few adjustments for altitude--as I am baking at 5000 feet.

Surprise Cookies
1 ¾ cup flour (add 2 tablespoons for high altitude)
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ t. baking soda
½ t. salt
½ cup butter (room temp)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
½ cup whole milk
1 t. vanilla
About 15 large marshmallows halved crosswise

1. Stir flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in bowl
2. Mix butter and sugar until fluffy (about two min). Add egg, milk, and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined
3. Using a 1 ¾ inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper
4. Bake on 375 for 8-10 minutes
5. Immediately press marshmallow halves on top of each cookie and bake 1 more minute
6. Frost cooled cookies with one tablespoon of frosting.
7. Store in air tight containers (if you have any left!!)
Frosting:
4 cups powdered sugar
6 T. butter
¼ cup cocoa powder
6 T. milk
¾ t vanilla
Melt butter and cocoa. Add to powdered sugar. Whisk in milk and vanilla.
*Adapted from ‘Martha Stewarts Cookies’
Printable Recipe












9 comments:

Paul & Kaytie said...

I'm so glad you posted this recipe. Can I request your refried bean recipe and enchilada sauce, we had some left over roast and Paul wanted to make burritos. Thanks Cindy, I love your blog.

Amber said...

mmmm I love these cookies! My neighbors are always glad when I make these, they always get a plate full! They are really delicious, and one or two cookies is enough for the sweetest tooth.

Anonymous said...

Cindy, I can't wait to make these cookies. I love your blog. I would like to try all the recipes. Thanks!

Shelby said...

These are really great cookies. I think I have even blogged about them - a long time ago though! Have been enjoying looking your blog over this evening!

JoJo said...

We are making these tonight. I showed the kids what we will be making and Mason said what I was thinking-- "Can we make them BIGGER!"

Jenn Erickson said...

Those look so delicious! So glad I clicked on your link-up over at "This...That, and the Other!".

Candace said...

What a fabulous looking cookie!!

Jenn Erickson said...

Mmmm...I know I could lose myself in a batch of those!

Cindy, thank you for linking more show-stopping recipes at Rook No. 17!

Jenn

Kristin@gratefulbelly.com said...

These look really, really, really good!!! :)