Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Chicken a la King


I first tasted Chicken a la King in 1977. I was a busy young mother and so enjoyed our weekly Relief Society Meeting. Every Tuesday morning the women in our church would meet and have a lesson. We taught one another Spiritual Living, Homemaking and Cultural Refinement lessons. There was also a nursery for our children, we each took a turn being Nursery Leader. Once a month we had a luncheon, this is where I met Chicken a la King.
My mother often made Creamed Tuna on Toast, a simple, comforting, weeknight meal.  Once I tasted Chicken a  la King I found my new comfort food. It was Creamed Tuna on steroids.
 This recipe comes from the Lion House Classics Cookbook. This is a great recipe to use leftover turkey or chicken. I made it with a rotisserie chicken--yummy. Enjoy my updated recipe.


 Chicken a la King
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup diced onion
1 cup sliced mushrooms
4 tablespoons flour
1 can chicken stock
1 cup milk
2 cups cooked chicken or turkey
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 small bottle chopped pimientos
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Melt butter in large dutch oven: add onions and mushrooms and cooked till lightly browned. Add flour, stir to blend. Add stock and milk, stirring constantly. Cook until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Fold in remaining ingredients. Serve over toast points, rice, noodles, mashed potatoes or puff pastry.
Serves 6

2 comments:

megan @ whatmegansmaking said...

I love the story behind this recipe! :)

Cakelaw said...

Chicken a la King was a staple on my Uni college dinner list, so I have had it many times. I like it, and your version looks good.