Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie


This yummy cookie comes from Baking Illustrated via Brown Eyed Baker. It is one fun cookie, just make it! Here are the simple instructions. For more interesting facts about why this cookie works and some fun shaping ideas check Brown Eyed Baker. I do enjoy her blog, so many fun recipes. Her sugar cookies are amazing.

(Source: Baking Illustrated, page 434)
Makes about 18 large cookies

2 cups plus 2 tablespoons (10 5/8 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled until warm
1 cup packed (7 ounces) light or dark brown sugar
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

1.Whisk together dry ingredients, set aside.

2.  Mix the butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Beat in the egg, yolk, and vanilla until combined. Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

3. Roll a scant 1/4 cup of the dough into a ball.
4. Bake at 325 until the cookies are light golden grown and the outer edges start to harden yet the centers are still soft and puffy, 15 to 18 minutes,  Cool the cookies on the sheet.

5. At this point I would eat 1 cookie, save one for breakfast and get the rest out of my house ASAP!
But I have little self control.

5 comments:

Amber said...

Oh these look tasty! I wish I had one right now!

Unknown said...

yummy! I think I will make a batch of these today...they will definately make me feel better!

Tia said...

the texture sounds just the way i like it - awesome!

Unknown said...

I do love the texture, I like all types of choco chip types. This does look so good.

Lisa said...

Yum, those cookies really do look deliciously thick and chewy. Hope you made a big batch of them. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-5.html