Pages

Friday, November 25, 2011

Quick Taco Soup




 I can't believe I haven't blogged about a favorite family meal. I've had this recipe for years and have no clue where it came from. If you gave it to me please let me know. I liked this recipe because it does NOT use a packet of taco seasoning. I prefer not to use these little packets, I read the ingredients list and knew I could do better.
This simple soup is a 30-minute meal, it feeds a crowd of hungry kids. It is easy to adapt to personal tastes.





QUICK TACO SOUP



In a large saucepan combine:

1 pound of cooked ground beef with onion (cook two pounds of ground beef with onion, use half and freeze half. Put it in a freezer bag and label it. Use it within 2 months for the best flavor.)

1 cup petite frozen or canned corn

1 can drained and rinsed black beans (red or pinto beans work fine)

28 ounces crushed tomatoes in puree

½ can EL PATO sauce (Mexican hot tomato sauce)

2 cups water

Simmer about 20 minutes
I'm sure that after browning the ground beef and onion you could put everything in a Crock Pot and cook on low for 4 hours.

Serve in bowls topped with tortilla chips, grated cheese, sliced olives, and sour cream.  This is an easy recipe to double—then you have leftovers for another busy day.  My boys like this recipe without the added water. It is thicker, almost like a dip, you can scoop it with a chip—it’s a boy thing. 

When your tired of turkey and need a quick meal this is it. This is also a pantry meal. Most of the items to make this soup are easily stored in your pantry. You probably have ground beef in the freezer. Cheese and sour cream are staples in my refrigerator and I always have a bag or two of corn chips in my pantry. Good for Nachos, dips etc.


2 comments:

Kayte said...

This looks great, one of those tried and true family favorites, always fun to get a hold of a recipe like that! Thanks for including the photo of the products as I am not familiar with El Pato sauce so it helps to see a can and the label. I will try this out on Matt for lunch tomorrow while he is home for Thanksgiving break and if it is a hit, this one is going to be one I include in a little cookbook I am making for him for college next year when he and his two buddies move into a house instead of the dorm...soup/Mexican/quick/easy=just perfect for them! Happy Thanksgiving, dear friend! I am thankful for friends like you. Definitely.

Cakelaw said...

This sounds like a fab quick and hearty meal - just the way I like it.