Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp


It has been a long cold winter in Utah. We had our first 70+ degree day yesterday, looks like spring just might make it. I looked out my kitchen window to our barren garden space and I think overnight our rhubarb plant shot up. I did a close up and realized the rhubarb was perfectly tender and ready to turn into a yummy dessert. My sweet Mother-in-Law Geneel was coming to dinner and I know she loves rhubarb. This was the perfect dessert to top off our meal of Teryaki Salmon and Orzo Pasta. We are one happy family!

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
2 cups fresh rhubarb, 1/2 inch slices
2 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
3/8 cup sugar
zest from 1 orange
1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Mix together strawberries, rhubarb, orange zest and sugar. Combine cornstarch with orange juice and stir. Pour over fruit and stir to combine. Put mixture in 8 inch round baking dish--I'm sure an 8 inch square pan would work too. 
Topping:
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup quick oatmeal
6 tablespoons cold butter, sliced
Mix together dry ingredients and cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture is in crumbles. You could use your food processor or mixer but I didn't want to dirty them. It was easy to mix by hand. Sprinkle the topping over the fruit mixture completely covering. Bake at 350 for about an hour or until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Print Recipe 

I did a Google search for Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp. A recipe by Ina Garten was the winner. It had 42 reviews and almost all were 5 stars. I read the comments and made a few adjustments. I also cut the recipe in half as I wasn't feeding a small army! This recipe would easily feed 4 to 5 adults. I would certainly make this again, we all gave it 5 stars. Next time I will add some chopped walnuts to the topping. The tasty dish will be made often this summer.

8 comments:

Rebekah said...

Strawberry rhubarb is definitely one of my favorite food combos....we've always had it as pie or cobbler, never a crisp. Sounds soooooo good. :) Hurray for spring!!

Chaya said...

This looks fantastic. I could use a piece, right now.

Grandma Scott said...

What a fun surprise for me... I love rhubarb and this was DELICIOUS

Grandma Scott said...

What a fun rhubarb surprise for me and it was delicious.

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Cindy, strawberry rhubarb crisp must be one of my very favorite desserts of all times in springtime and this recipe by Ina Garten sounds terrfic! And your presentation is so very pretty and colorful!

Nedra said...

I LOVE rhubarb. I will be trying this for sure!

Amber @ DessertNowDinnerLater.com said...

Oh man! Strawberry Rhubarb anything is so good! Sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing at Sweet & Savory Saturdays #11.

~Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later!
http://dessertnowdinnerlater.blogspot.com/

Krista said...

My Great Aunt makes the worlds best Strawberry Rhubarb jam. When I saw this I had to come check it out. This looks amazing. Thanks so much for sharing :) Krista @ A Handful of Everything