Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Soft Oatmeal Cookies with Browned Butter Frosting


Brown Butter is so trendy right now--and it should be. Most anything made with browned butter is delicious. But it is certainly not a new flavor. 50 years ago my Mother made a delicious butterscotch cookie with a browned butter frosting. Mom didn't make them often because they were a lot of work. My Dad loved them so she made them for him--often hiding them in the back of the freezer. The point being brown butter has really been around for awhile. I will get Moms recipe and blog about them someday.
Today we have a simple oatmeal cookie turned epic. Yes I think brown butter glaze raises these cookies to the epic status! Enjoy this yummy recipe.


Oatmeal Cookies with Browned Butter Glaze

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar (3.5 ounces)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1 1/4 cups baby oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla and beat for another minute.  Add the remaining ingredients and mix gently just until incorporated.  Drop dough using a 1 Tablespoon scoop and bake for 8-9 minutes at 350.  The cookies do not brown very much and they will look slightly underdone.  Cool.  Top with browned butter glaze.
I made this recipe in my food processor—it is so quick. Combine butter, sugars, egg and vanilla in bowl. Process with metal blade for 30 seconds. Scrape down sides. Sprinkle the remaining ingredients in bowl. Pulse 10 times. It will still look under mixed—this is fine, just use a spatula and stir together. It is that easy and it works! This is my favorite way to make a small batch of cookies.

Browned Butter Glaze
4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar

Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until browned.  There will be brown bits in the bottom of the pan and it will have a nutty aroma. Be careful—don’t multi task while doing this. Butter goes from brown to black in seconds! (I really know). Remove from heat and cool slightly.  Mix in the remaining ingredients adding milk until desired consistency.  Drizzle over cooled cookies. I put frosting in a Ziploc baggie, cut off the corner and drizzle. I like plenty of frosting/glaze so I make wide drizzles-or plenty of skinny drizzles. Use your creative license!
Makes about 2 ½ dozen small cookies

Look at my cute helper--my grandchildren live states away so my darling next door neighbor is happy to fill in. She likes making (and eating) cookies as much as I do!
This recipe was inspired by Jenn's recipe on Eat Cake For Dinner--one of my favorite blogs.

13 comments:

Nedra said...

lucky girl who gets to live next door to you!

Rebekah said...

I agree.....browned butter is amazing! How funny today that another blog I follow also featured a browned butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookie today. I wonder if that's a sign....some browned butter in my future!
I love the frosting on these...so irresistible. :)

Debra Eliotseats said...

You have truly elevated an oatmeal cookie!

Jenn said...

You just made my day with that sweet comment at the bottom!! Thank you so much. I totally agree browned butter is one of the best things!

My Recent Favorite Books said...

These sound yummy! =)
I love homemade cookies! Thanks for sharing!

Deb A said...

The cookies look awesome and I like your "model" Have a great week!

Cakelaw said...

Yummo - I could easily eat several of these - lucky you are so far away.

Kayte said...

I marked this on Pinterest and I should have put a DANGER DANGER DANGER sign on it because I know when I make these I won't be eating just one. You are such a distraction from my healthy eating plan (thank you)...lol!

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Cindy, these cookies look out of this world delicious - brown butter adds such a wonderful depth of flavor to baked goods. And oatmeal cookies rank as some of my very very favorite ones - I love the character that oatmeal cookies always have.
Such a cute helper too!
Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

Unknown said...

These cookies look ridiculously good I'd love for you to share them at my link party :D

http://thevelvetmoonbaker.blogspot.ie/2013/07/sweet-savoury-sunday-22.html

Unknown said...

These cookies look ridiculously good I'd love for you to share them at my link party :D

http://thevelvetmoonbaker.blogspot.ie/2013/07/sweet-savoury-sunday-22.html

Laura@bakinginpyjamas said...

These look delicious. Visiting from Sugar and Slice Sunday.

Amber @ DessertNowDinnerLater.com said...

I really do love oatmeal cookies & the glaze sounds over the top delicious! Thanks for linking up to Sweet & Savory Saturdays #23.

~Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later!
http://www.dessertnowdinnerlater.com