Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Apple Cinnamon & Oatmeal Cookie with Cinnamon Frosting


Lady Behind the Curtain Monthly Challenge
This months Behind the Curtain Challenge was to use Apples and Cinnamon together. I had so many ideas--so little time. So I went with what else but a cookie. This is a basic oatmeal cookie with some yummy add-ins: cinnamon, nutmeg, chopped apples and walnuts. What an amazing combo! Now, the cookie was excellent as is. But I have a difficult time with 'as is'.  I made a small batch of cinnamon butter cream frosting. Amazing. Cookie on steroids. I think you will love this. Thanks Cheryl for an fabulous challenge!

Apple Cinnamon & Oatmeal Cookies with Cinnamon Frosting
1/2 cup soft butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar (3.5 ounces)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon each: baking powder, baking soda, salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg--freshly grated
1 1/2 cups baby oats
1 medium apple, peeled, cored and chopped--I used my Pampered Chef Chopper--it made nice small apple chunks, mix apple with 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
3/4 cups chopped walnuts--again I used the PC Chopper It makes quick work of anything chopped

Mix butter and sugars in Kitchen Aid and beat for about 3 minutes, add egg and vanilla and beat another minute.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices; stir well and add oats. Combine. Turn mixer down to low and sprinkle in dry ingredients, very gently combine. Don't over mix. Stir in apples and nuts.
Line sheets with parchment paper. Using a medium Pampered Chef Scoop scoop portions of dough on cookie sheets. You should get about 24 cookies.
Bake at 350 for 13-15 minutes. I liked my cookie more done than less. Choose your favorite!
When cool swirl with:

Cinnamon Butter Cream Frosting
1/4 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2-3 tablespoons cream
pinch salt
Mix together in a bowl. Swirl on cooled cookies.
Printable Recipe
Inspired by Joy the Baker 

15 comments:

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

The cookies look so good and moist. And with frosting on top it is just decadent!

Shannon R said...

Yum. The frosting just takes them over the top! Thanks for the recipe.

Marlene @Nosh My Way said...

These cookies look scrumptious and the frosting is the perfect way to indulge.

Call Me PMc said...

Wow, I love these cookies! They look like lace and that icing - yum!!

LuAnn @ BackPorchervations said...

Cindy, this looks soo good! I remember making oatmeal cookies with my mother when I was little, but apples, spices ... and frosting? I'm in heaven!

Jenn said...

Oh yum, the hubs would love it if I made him these.

Rasmussen Family said...

oh yum! i love oatmeal cookies

Deb A said...

Looks great Cindy! I love how you frosted them... have a great weekend!

Cindys Recipes and Writings said...

I love oatmeal cookies and with frosting these wouldn't last long.

Teri said...

Your cookies look amazing and so tasty. Great use of the ingredients!!

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Cindy, your fabulous cookies kill me - now this is such a wonderful autumnal cookie treat, I feel like running off into the kitchen to bake these right away. What a truly fabulous frosting and the cookie dough has all my favorite warm spices! Hope you had a great weekend!

Amber @ DessertNowDinnerLater.com said...

I think I should dub you queen of frosted cookies b/c you always have such creative & delicious sounding cookies! Thanks for sharing at Sweet & Savory Saturdays #30.

~Amber @ DessertNowDinnerLater.com

Mary Bergfeld said...

I just happen to know some folks who would make short work of your cookies. They'd be gone in a flash. I hope your week is off to a great start. Have a good day. Blessings...Mary

Cathleen said...

Ooh, this cookies almost scream fall! They look fantastic!

Kayte said...

Apple Cinnamon Cookies indeed look inspired and delicious, and best of all, cookies can be mixed at half-time, parked in the frig, and baked during the next game's half-time! ;-)