Pages

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Jalapeno Corn Chowder


It is officially 'Soup Weather' in Utah. We had our first skiff of snow this weekend. Hopefully we still have a few warmish days ahead. But I really cook soup year round--I just love it. I made this with fresh corn and it was delicious. If you can find fresh corn use it otherwise use home frozen corn or Costco frozen corn. Any way it will be delicious. A full 5 stars!

Jalapeno Corn Chowder 
6 slices bacon
1/2 diced onion
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup flour
4 cups chicken broth
2 potatoes, cubes (skins may be left on)
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1/2 jalapeno, chopped
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
3 cups frozen corn
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend 
sour cream for garnish
Cut bacon into small strips. Place in dutch oven and cook until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel lined plate
Remove all but 3 tablespoons of the bacon grease from the dutch over. Add the diced onion and allow to cook until translucent, about 10 minutes, add the garlic and cook about 30 seconds longer. Add flour, salt, pepper and stir to combine. Allow the mixture to cook about 3 minutes.
Stirring continuously, slowly pour in the chicken broth to avoid clumps from forming. Add the potatoes, carrots and jalapenos and bring to a boil. Once the mixture reaches a boil reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Add the corn, heavy cream and cheese. Stir to combine. Allow the mixture to cook slowly for about 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
Spoon into soup bowls and top with crisp cooked bacon and a dob of sour cream.
Printable Recipe

Recipe inspired by So Tasty So Yummy 
A blog full of yummy dishes that I need to get to know better!

6 comments:

Jenn said...

I LOVE corn chowder and I love that it is finally soup weather.

Cathleen said...

Wow, this looks fantastic!! I have never made some corn chowder before, but I definitely want to try soon!

Unknown said...

This is crazy, but my son is in charge of the dinner menu Saturday and he saw a Jalapeno popper soup he wanted to try. I love the idea of adding potatoes and turning it into a chowder!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I'd love a bowl of this, Cindy. It looks and sounds delicious. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Deb A said...

I love corn chowder - am definitely pinning this to try later!!

Julie said...

I could definitely warm up with this! Not that I need to warm up in FL right now but I do love a good spicy soup. Thanks for sharing at Marvelous Mondays, Cindy! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!