Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Berry Sour Cream Pie


It was my sweet Mother-in-Laws Birthday. I do think birthdays demand a special dessert. I reviewed my Pinterest boards, favorite treats and finally came up with what turned out to be a winner. I knew Geneel liked cheesecake, she also likes pie and fruit. I found a recipe on Jamie Cooks it Up that fit my criteria, I changed it to suit my needs. Mostly because I did not wast to go to the store so I made it with what I had in the freezer/pantry.

Berry Sour Cream Pie
Crust
I started out with a homemade graham cracker crust
1 sleeve of graham crackers, crushed
1/4 cup granulated sugar,
5 tablespoons of melted butter.
A pinch of salt
Add graham crackers to a food processor--process till smooth, finely ground.
Add sugar and pulse until combined.
Add butter and salt and pulse again to combined
Put damp crumbs in a deep dish pie plate--I used a stoneware pie plate. Evenly press crumbs on the bottom of the pan as well as up the sides. I use a small measuring cup and press the crumbs firmly in the corner and then up the side. Be patient--this might take a minute. Get the crust as even as possible. Put the crust in the freezer to chill.
You could also use a store bought graham cracker crust. A homemade or purchased regular pie crust.

Topping
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
10 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh squeezed)
3 cups fruit--if frozen defrost it in the microwave for a minute of so. You want the fruit room temperature when you add it to the sauce.
dash salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon butter
Mix cornstarch and sugar in a medium sauce pan stir well, add water and lemon juice. Heat on medium heat until mixture has thickened and is very hot. Stir rapidly so it doesn't lump. Add fruits and gently stir until mixture is thick, bubbling and shiny. Stir in salt, vanilla and butter. Pour sauce in a bowl, put in the refrigerator and cool to at least room temperature. I used one cup of blue berries and 2 cups of raspberries--it is what I had in the freezer.

Filling
1 8 ounce package of cream cheese--softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup heavy cream (whipped)---you can use an 8 ounce container of Cool Whip in place of the cream, if you do, use all of the powdered sugar and vanilla in the cream cheese mixture.
3/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
dash salt
In you stand mixer with a whip attachment whip the cream till soft peaks  appear. Add 1/4 cup of the sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla. Don't bother to clean your whip. Using a rubber scrapper scrape the cream into a small bowl. Using the slightly dirty bowl and whip (it is ok today) add your softened cream cheese. Now cooks when I say 'softened' cream cheese I mean almost warm--very soft. Put it in the not so clean bowl, add the not so clean whip and whip the living daylights out of the cream cheese. Lumpy cream cheese is not fun in any dessert. Now is your moment to get the lumps out. Add the 3/4 cup sugar and beat again until very smooth and creamy. This is how your dessert will look. Add the sour cream, half teaspoon of vanilla and dash of salt. Beat gently again. You should have a smooth, dreamy, light almost white filling. Now with a rubber spatula fold in the whipped cream. Do not over mix once the whipped cream has been added as the cream will slightly deflate. No one likes deflated cream! Now you have one delicious filling!
Take the pie shell out of the freezer, add the creamy mixture to the pie and smooth.
Cover the white filling with the now cooled fruit filling. Don't try and overfill--it will make a mess. Scrape the leftovers into a small container and top you waffles, pancakes or french toast with it.
I realize that this pie looks like too much work but take it a step at a time and it will come right together. This recipe makes one deep dish pie or 12 individual tart servings. Purchase the cute little graham cracker shells, who doesn't like their very own dessert!
Printable Recipe





2 comments:

Debra Eliotseats said...

I would rather have pie than birthday cake any day!!!!

Deb A said...

This looks great and a very special dessert indeed!