Pages

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Asian Chop Salad


I am happy with the variety of 'chop' salad kits at the market. I do purchase them occasionally and if fresh they can make a delicious salad. I wanted to see if I could come up with a 'better' chop salad. I think you will agree that this is one excellent salad. This salad is full of texture and flavor. The dressing is light with just a little sweetness. Combine the salad and dressing for a perfect dish.

Asian Chop Salad
1 bag coleslaw mix (14-ounce)
Chopped:
Napa Cabbage
celery
cucumber
red pepper
green onion or red onion
bean sprouts
sugar snap peas
1 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1/3 cup slivered almonds
Mix coleslaw and veggies in a large bowl, toss with dressing at least 30 minutes before serving. The dressing will draw some moisture out of the veggies, this really is enough dressing. Just before serving top with sesame seeds and almonds.

Dressing
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
Combine all ingredients and shake or stir vigorously. Refrigerate until ready to use. This dressing can be made several days before serving.
Printable Recipe

You can use finely sliced cabbage and grated carrots instead of coleslaw mix.
Use whatever veggies you have. I like this salad because most of the ingredients keep well in the fridge. Cabbage, carrots, celery, onions have a long life span. This salad is excellent with just these!
Napa Cabbage keeps quite a while in the refrigerator, it adds a delicious flavor and a 'softer' crunch. Fresh bean sprouts have a short shelf life--but are delicious if you have them.
I didn't put amounts in this salad--use more of what you love!
I found this recipe in an Our Best Bites cookbook, I made a few changes to make it more to my liking.

1 comment:

Lois Evensen said...

Oh, my, that looks good!