Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Salsa Verde

 


This salsa is so tasty that I would feel guilty if I didn't share it. I also don't want to forget about it--that is why it appears on my blog. Here is how my life goes. It is time to make menus, I really do this. It is empowering to walk in a grocery store and actually know what you want.  Anyway as I ponder food somewhere in the back of my mind I remember making a delicious salsa, the main ingredient being tomatillos. First I look on my blog, then my Pinterest boards--I spend way to much time looking. I start checking my favorite blogs looking for this familiar recipe. It comes back to me--it is on Kevin's Closet Cooking, he has about 50 salsa recipes (all look enticing). I scroll through them and finally find what I am looking for. Looking for a recipe can be quite the journey. Long story short, keeping a blog is the best way for me to keep track of the recipes I make and love. I also love sharing recipes that have proven to be winners in my book. My blog contains only recipes that I really make and share with others. Enjoy! Please excuse the bold italics (I really am not shouting at you). Sometimes blogger has a mind of its own--I'm not smart enough to fix it! 
Wow, that was quite the ramble for a salsa that is simply delicious! roasting the ingredients really adds flavor. This beautiful bright salsa is good with chips, on tacos, tostadas, quesadillas, etc. Mix it with equal parts chicken broth and a bit of cumin and you create the best tomatillo sauce--perfect in green enchiladas. I don't have photos of this but trust me they are delicious. Sometimes one is hungry--there is no time for photos!
 
Salsa Verde
1 pound tomatillos-husks removed and cut in half
1 small onion cut into wedges
2 jalapenos, seeded and cut in half (wear gloves when working with peppers)
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 cup cilantro
1 lime, zest and juice 
salt and pepper
Put tomatillos, onion and jalapenos cut sides down on cookie sheet. Put under broiler until the skins blackened. You may have to remove the peppers first--it is easy to take the skins off the jalapenos. don't worry about the tomatillos. Put all the veggies in the food processor, give it a ride until everything is chopped up nice. Add lime zest and juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
Excellent served with chips--it is also an excellent sauce on tacos, enchiladas, fajitas.
Printable Recipe
From Kevin's Closet Cooking
 

No comments: