Pages

Monday, October 19, 2015

Oven Meatballs





These really are not beautiful, is it possible to take a good photo of meat?? But don't worry about looks because these are delicious. I am not a big meat eater, I have pretty high standards when it comes to ground meat. These come highly recommended from Mel's Kitchen Cafe. I am so glad I tried them--they are perfect for my meat eating boys and I enjoyed them too.
These little babies are very versatile. They make a killer Meatball Sub (recipe to come), we just enjoyed them with some fresh pasta and sauce. Just good food. They freeze well and it is easy to make a large batch. What's not to love?

Oven Meatballs
1 cup Panko crumbs
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan or mozzarella cheese (I do love options)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup beef or chicken broth (options again)
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons pepper
2 teaspoons dried basil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 pounds ground beef
In a large bowl mix together all ingredients but the beef. Let the mixture sit for 10-15 minutes. Add the beef and mix gently. Yes, you need to use your hands. I love my disposable kitchen gloves. I can do more with these on!
Line rimed baking sheet with foil and lightly grease the foil. Form into golf ball sized meatballs--I use a cookie scoop, easy. You might need two baking sheets. Place meatballs an inch apart. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until cooked through. 
Be creative--use in most anything. Extra meatballs freeze well. Put in a freezer bag. Label and date. Most important--don't forget to use them!

No comments: