Pages

Monday, March 9, 2009

Judi's Granola


I like to pretend I'm eating healthy when I eat granola--I mean it is full of oats, raw cashews, almonds, dried cherries. All ingredients that should make for a very nutritious breakfast or snack. But something happens when I add a pound of melted butter.....It turns into the most delicious treat you have ever eaten!! Try this granola recipe, there will never be another. The recipe came from Judi, again. I think she had to beg a chef, who will remain nameless on this blog unless Judi wants to tell. However I have made a few changes.

Judi's Granola

7½ cups rolled oats
2 cups sliced or slivered almonds
1 ½ cups raw cashews
1/2 pound butter, unsalted
2/3 cup honey
1 ¼ cup brown sugar
1 t. nutmeg, ground
1 t. cinnamon, ground
6 oz. dried cherries
Combine the first 3 ingredients in a very large bowl. Melt together the next 5 ingredients while whisking. It should just come to the boil. Pour over the oat mixture and toss around until all oats and nuts are coated. Disperse onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees, tossing the mixture ensuring even baking. Stir after 15 minutes, cook 3 more minutes and stir, cook one more minute and remove from oven. Granola should just begin to brown. It will get darker as it sits. Don’t overcook it will still be good but too hard.When the granola has reached desired color, dump the granola onto a counter and toss a few times during its cooling time.When the granola has cooled, sprinkle on the dried cheeries, toss and put into a container. Cover and place in the pantry.

2 comments:

Lianne said...

This sounds incredible! I'm your newest follower on Google Reader! :)

Lianne said...

I made this last night. It made the house smell fabulous! My family really likes it. I enjoyed it as a snack just as much as I did for breakfast in milk. My husband can't wait to make a yogurt parfait with it.

I shared some with two friends and my mom today. It makes enough for an army! Thanks for sharing the recipe.