Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Corn Chowder


It is still soup weather in Utah, actually I like soup all year round. I can't wait to try this soup when corn on the cob is at its peak. Fresh corn is so delish.
 This dish was adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe--she has great taste! This soup could be a 30 minute meal with a little planning. I purchased a rotisserie chicken from Costco--I sure get a lot of bang for my buck when I purchase one. We had sandwiches twice and enough chicken for this soup. Yes, we have a very small family but it works. I also made chicken broth from the carcass. There is an easy recipe on Our Best Bites--it tastes so good.
So try this soup, homemade broth is really not necessary. Canned works fine. It is necessary to use a jalapeno and very soft cream cheese. Enjoy!

Chicken Corn Chowder

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 jalapeno, finely chopped, seeds and membrane removed
1/4 cup cooked ham, diced
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1 quart chicken broth (I used homemade from a rotisserie chicken)
3 tablespoons flour
3 ears of fresh corn kernels or 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
2 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded or 2-3 cups rotisserie chicken, diced
4 oz. cream cheese--very soft
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

 Saute celery, bell pepper, onion and jalapeno in olive oil until just tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and ham; cook for another minute. Whisk the flour into the broth and add to veggies. Stir in the corn. Bring to a low boil and reduce heat. Whisk together the very soft cream cheese and milk until very smooth. Whisk the cream cheese/milk mixture into the soup along with the chicken, salt, pepper and cheddar cheese. Simmer on low until ready to serve.


This recipe linked to Around My Family Table
This recipe linked to Creationsbykara

4 comments:

Kayte said...

When I saw the photo and title of the post, the first thing that went through my mind was, "Corn Chowder, great, it's still soup weather here!" And then that was the first thing you wrote on your entry...lol...great minds, right? Looks delicious!

Katerina said...

This chowder is absolutely perfect for the last days of winter here. Great photo!

Anne said...

Oh wow that soup looks wonderful, all those great ingredients and beautiful photos too! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Unknown said...

don't think i've ever had corn chowder but love clam.

Stop by and link up at my 2nd ed. Make and Share Friday! I'd love to have you!

~ Christy