Pages

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Road Trip Quilt


I spent many years making clothes for my children (ages ago) but find myself a very beginning quilter. Using a rotary cutter and sewing a precise 1/4 inch seam takes practice. The Road Trip Quilt is a perfect place to begin. This scrappy quilt is full of fun prints, bright primary colors and a cuddly minky back. I think 3 year old Gregory will love it!
There is a great tutorial for the  Road Trip Quilt  on the blog,  Cluck, Cluck Sew. Detailed photos tell the story with great instructions. So easy a very beginner can follow along and be successful! I know.
  I'm sure Gregory is really very excited!

I was a bit scared of the binding but my local quilt shoppe was happy to cut strips of striped  fabric on the bias. I love the results! I found a tutorial on  binding a quilt on the Old Red Barn Co. Blog. The step by step photos walked me through the entire binding process. I learned to sew strips on the diagonal making a continuous binding. I also made a beautiful mitered corner (I was quite proud of it). I turned the binding and hand stitched it. One can learn so much on the Internet!
My quilt isn't perfect but it will be loved no less. I am afraid the quilting bug has bit--I have about 3 more quilts in progress and am learning much on a Block of the Month Club, this is a stretch for sure!
Hopefully you will see a few more quilts in the coming months. Quilting--it's a great thing.
So friends, if you have the desire. check out my Pinterest Quilt Board--lots of beginner ideas.



4 comments:

Nedra said...

Cindy, I am SO proud of you! Great job, and this will be a treasure for your grandson for years to come!

Michelle Wilkes said...

Love it! I'm sure Greggy will too! Your binding looks awesome! Can't wait to see more of them!

Dana - Old Red Barn Co. said...

It's a gorgeous quilt with perfectly executed binding. Great job Cindy!

chersten said...

Gregory has loved his quilt. He has slept with it every night! You did a great job, Cindy.