Pages

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Mini Meat Loaves


Occasionally I will make a meal that will surprise even me! Now I am not a meatloaf lover, I don't really love meat. But..I have made Pioneer Woman's Meatloaf  with success. However--a big meatloaf is just too much for two and Greg didn't like the bacon on it (really)? So I tried a recipe on Mel's Kitchen Cafe for mini meat loaves and liked the concept. Now this is what is fun about cooking; I took what I liked about each recipe and came up with one incredible dish! I guess the moral of the story is, use excellent resources and you are bound to get a winner.
Why do I like this recipe? It is quick enough for a week night meal. It feeds our smaller family with leftovers for lunch (the leftovers were excellent I might add). Double it for a larger family. I like the crispy ends of meatloaf--this is almost all crispy ends, but there is plenty of tender burger in the middle. It is portion controlled--portion control is always a good thing, especially when something is so tasty that overeating would be easy!

Mini Meat Loaves
2-3 slices white bread
1/2 cup milk
1 pound lean ground meat (I did half ground beef and half ground pork)
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup minced flat leaf parsley
2 eggs, beaten
Tear bread in large bowl, pour milk over it and let sit for a few minutes. Add cheese, seasonings and eggs. Mix well. Add meat and mix together. Shape into 5 mini loaves. In a nonstick skillet heat 2 teaspoons of oil until shimmering. Carefully place mini loaves in hot pan. Cook 3-4 minutes until nice and brown, turn and cook another couple of minutes. Remove loaves and place on a foil lined sheet pan. Bake at 425 for about 15 minutes until cooked through or 160 degrees on a quick read thermometer.
While baking glaze meat with the following mixture:
1/2 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
Serve meat with leftover sauce.
Printable Recipe

2 comments:

Nedra said...

To me, meatloaf is comfort food. We often had it for dinner as I was growing up. Now, we rarely eat beef, but I still would like to give these a try. They look delish!

Debra Eliotseats said...

I like the minis too so there is enough "crispy ends" to go around! :)