Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Bumper Crop of Basil


I know it is October--officially fall. But I am not ready to say goodbye to my basil plant. I'm not much of a gardener but this was my year for basil!! My basil plant is right outside my front door in my flower bed. Proximity, proximity. I used basil in dressings, salads, sandwiches, pizzas, pasta and pesto. It was so convenient, fresh and flavorful.


Fresh Basil Pesto
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts
3 cloves gralic, pressed
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano Cheese
salt and pepper
This requires a food processor (I know, I tried a batch in my blender--it failed).
Combine basil with pine nuts, pulse a few times. Add garlic, pulse. Slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream while the food processor is on. Season lightly with salt and pepper. At this point it can be frozen. Line ice cube tray with plastic wrap put a spoonful in each cube. Freeze, pop out and put in freezer container. Add to soup, pasta etc. The cheese doesn't freeze well so add it when serving.
This recipe was adapted from Simply Recipes--I love that site.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish you would send some of that goodness my way...I sure love fresh basil!