Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

MSCC

I know the purpose of a baking group is to stretch ones self, try something new; but I'm afraid this months pick involved too much stretching! S'mores Cupcakes sounded fun, but as I read thru the recipe I realized I was lacking too many ingredients, tools and even the desire to make 'marshmellow' frosting. Sorry, maybe another day. I did have to bake, it was the birthday of my sweet Mother-In-Law. Cupcakes were certainly in order.

I tried to think of the perfect cupcake for her, one she would love (and that I didn't need graham flour, unflavored gelatin and a torch to make). I knew she liked spice, cream cheese, lemon, she is not a fan of nuts and oft times chocolate is not her favorite.
I came up with the perfect birthday cupcake, it combined all her favorite flavors and was delish! Did you realize that you can make Zucchini Cupcakes anytime?? You really do not have to have a huge zucchini begging to be used!I remember Martha's moist spicy zucchini cupcakes we made last fall. They have a good amount of lemon zest in them, this provided the springboard for my birthday cupcakes.

I knew the cupcakes would be yummy but I really wanted the frosting to shine. The frosting was a perfect combination of cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and pure lemon extract. It was creamy and so good. I topped the cupcakes with toasted walnuts. I left a few plain for those that don't like crunch in their cake.
They were a success. My mother-in-law was quite happy with my choice. Last year I began my blog with her birthday cake--The Perfect Party Cake! Has it really been a year? Stay tuned for a little blog candy! Coming soon. Check out our MSCC and see what S'mores Cupcakes really look like.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

you weren't kidding mom, Those DO look delicious!

The frosting looks so fluffy!

Candise said...

I tried REALLY hard to share the last one with Jarom today. Somehow it just didn't make it until he arrived home from work...

Hindy said...

These cupcakes look great! Very pretty and a delicious-sounding recipe.

Megan said...

Those zucchini cupcakes were terrific - and the frosting you used really made them extra special!

Nina said...

These look amazing!

TeaLady said...

Be glad you didn't make the MSCC. They really weren't that good. dense, rubbery icing. Not a keeper. Yours, on the other hand, look delish.

Grandma Scott said...

They were perfect and such a nice thing to do for a Mother in Law.
You are the best !!!!