Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Homemade Burger Buns


Why would I make Hamburger Buns?
--I don't shop on Sunday
--I own a Kitchen Aid Mixer
--They just may improve the lowly Sloppy Joe
--Because I can!
I ran across this recipe on Annie's Eats, one of my favorite blogs. They looked easy and good and they were! I'm afraid I may never eat a Wonder Bun again. I can think of many uses for this tasty bun. Here is my slightly modified recipe.


Light Brioche Burger Buns
3 tablespoons warm milk
1 cup warm water
2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3 1/3 cups flour
2 1/2 tablespoons soft butter
In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine first six ingredients. Mix briefly to combine. Add flour and mix until incorporated. Mix in the butter. Switch to the dough hook and knead on low speed for 6 minutes.  The dough will be tacky, resist the urge to add more flour.
Put the dough in a oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until double about an hour or two.
Divide dough in 8 pieces. Gently shape each portion of dough in a ball and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. I couldn't fit all eight on my baking sheet, I didn't want pull apart buns. Let rise again until puffed and nearly doubled. This took less than an hour.
Put a 9x13 metal pan of water on the bottom rack of your oven. Preheat the oven to 400degrees with a rack in the center. Brush the top of the buns with a mixture of one egg and one tablespoon water. Sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds. Bake the buns 15 minutes rotating halfway through baking, until the tops are golden brown. I don't always rotate my baked goods (I'm lazy) but I'm glad I did as they were so evenly browned. I'm  now a rotating believer. Transfer to a rack and cool completely.

3 comments:

Grandma Scott said...

You are going to make a cook of me yet !! They look great and lately bread from the store (except for the light rye, and the rhodes rolls) has been yucky.
Can't wait to try them...

Kayte said...

I have been looking at this over here for three days now and I finally thought, "Okay, I NEED to make these soon, very soon." I will give them a try this weekend, and they might even find their friends the Sloppy Joes here as well, one of Matt's favorites. Thanks!

Jenn Erickson said...

Light broiche burger buns? They sound heavenly!