Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Lemon Yogurt Muffins


It is cold in Utah, very cold! It is also pretty smoggy so don't take a deep breath when you are outside! What has this got to do with muffins?? Well somewhere it is sunny and warm and lemons are at their peak. These little citrus morsels are about as good and sunny as it gets in January! They come together quickly and are delicious. The original recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe is for lemon loaves. But I'm quite impatient--loaves takes so long to bake. These little mini muffins are ready in minutes. Whatever pan you bake these in they are sure to brighten your day!

Lemon Yogurt Muffins
3 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons lemon zest--from 3 large lemons
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
1/2 vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
Glaze
1/3 to 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (from the lemons you zested))
4 tablespoons sugar

Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl combine the sugar and lemon zest--rub between your fingers until the sugar is moist and smells out of this world. This is one of my favorite cooking activities! Stir in the eggs, vanilla, oil, applesauce and yogurt. Add the dry ingredients and mix till just combined. Never over mix muffins or quick breads they will become tough--who wants a tough muffin??

Pour batter into pans that have been sprayed with Baker's Joy. This makes plenty. I would probably make some mini loaves and mini muffins. I really can't say how many it will make as pans vary so much. I do know that I have muffin recipes with 1 cup of flour and they make 24 mini muffins. Mel said she makes 2 loaves that are 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch pans and has some batter left over for a few muffins. Sorry I can't give you better guidance here! Make them and see what works with your pans!

Bake at 350 till a toothpick comes out clean. A loaf pan will be 45-55 minutes and muffins will be 14-25 minutes. Watch closely you don't want an over baked dry muffin!
While the bread/muffins are baking combine the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. While muffins are still warm brush glaze over tops. You may want to poke holes in your muffins so the glaze will soak in. Brush muffins several times until all glaze is used. Enjoy your bite of sunshine!




6 comments:

Kayte said...

They look marvelous...and lemon just sings my name like a siren calling!

Anonymous said...

It's cold here too - and I could happy munch on these delicious looking muffins - yogurt and lemon is SUCH a great combination!
Mary x

Gloria - The Ginger Snap Girl said...

I have lemons to use up! These look like a nice little morning bite. It's even cold here in southern California....ya know, for Californians. ;)

Rita said...

Cindy, These look amazing. I need to give them a try! Thanks for sharing.

Tanya-Lemonsforlulu.com said...

I agree, I like mini muffins over loaves! Love lemon food in January! These would brighten my day! Thanks for sharing at One Creative Weekend!

Kim of Mo Betta said...

I'm currently obsessed with lemon! These look like a good way to use up some of my Meyer lemons that I have been hoarding up.