Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Chicken Coconut Pistachios and Rice

I have over 60 tasty recipes containing chicken on my blog. It was 4:00 and my menu plan wasn't going to happen. I had chicken tenders and a well stocked pantry. Certainly I could find a yummy dish. I checked out all 63 recipes and I had all the ingredients for exactly one dish. It looked like dinner would be Pistachio and Coconut Chicken and Rice (yes, I do keep a stash of pistachios). This recipe is a hidden gem. So I updated the photo and adjusted the recipe and wondered why I don't make this dish more often. Yummy rice simmered in coconut milk, browned chicken, peas and a sprinkling of pistachios and cilantro. And the leftovers were delicious. This recipe needs to be at the front of your 'list of dinner ideas'. I think you will love it and it can be on the table in about 45 minutes. That's a good thing!
 Chicken Coconut Pistachios and Rice
1 to 1 1/4 pounds chicken tenders
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, minced
1 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup chopped pistachios, lightly toasted
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
Season chicken tenders with salt and pepper. Dredge each chicken tender in the flour, shaking off excess.

Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Cook the chicken until browned on both sides and cooked through about 8-12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Tent with foil to keep warm.

Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet. Add the onion, Garam Masala, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the rice and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Stir in the chicken broth and coconut milk, scraping up any browned bits. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook about 20 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender. Stir occasionally as rice cooks

Off the heat, sprinkle the peas over the rice, cover, and let warm through, about 2 minutes. Add the cilantro and gently fold into the rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste, serve with the chicken.
Top with chopped pistachios
This recipe serves 4-6. It makes plenty of rice, but the leftover rice is delicious. I tried cutting down the recipe but I really don't like having partial cans of coconut milk in the fridge.
Printable recipe


Adapted from a recipe found on one of my favorite blogs-- Mels Kitchen Café.


2 comments:

Medeja- CranberryJam said...

There will never be too many chicken recipes :)

Debra Eliotseats said...

You certainly did find a yummy recipe.