Pages

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Almond Poppy Seed Muffins




I have never really been a breakfast person. I like a glass of juice and a piece of toast.
But I do like Brunch. A meal served at 10, when one is fully awake and moving is my kind of meal. There are so many available options for brunch. A light brunch may just be juice, muffins and a fruit tray. When my sons are in town if I mention the word, 'brunch' I better have bacon, sausage links and sliced ham. Other great brunch choices are Sunshine CasseroleDenver Omelet, Breakfast Pizza or a breakfast burrito. These also are great for dinner.
Now back to the blog post--I'm talking the most delicious Almond Poppy Seed Muffins, these gems are chuck full of flavor and texture.
I found this delicious recipe on Life Made Simple.

Almond Poppy Seed Muffins
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cake flour--to make cake flour put 1 tablespoon of cornstarch in a half cup measure, fill with all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
9 tablespoons butter--softened
2 eggs
3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons almond extract
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
slivered or sliced almonds for the top
Sift together flour, cake flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt three times. Set aside. Yes, I really did this. Beat the butter and sugar for 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time and beat well. Add extracts and poppy seeds. Add the flour alternating with the sour cream. Mix gently.
Either spray muffin pan with Pam or put in cupcake liners. I found some darling liners at Gygi's. Using a large scoop fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Do not overfill. Sprinkle almonds on top of batter. This recipe made 12 regular size muffins and 12 mini muffins. Bake at 375. 20-23 for regular size muffins, 10-12 minutes for mini muffins. Toothpick should come out clean. Don't over bake.
Printable Recipe


No comments: