Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Harvest Vegetable Beef Soup


I remember spending the evening with my Grandmother about 50 years ago. It was a cool fall day, we went outside to her big garden and dug potatoes and carrots. I don't know what recipe she used, or if she even used one. What I do remember is the most delicious smell. 50 years later this smell shouts fall to me.
We had a cool day yesterday, I wanted to 'smell fall'. I have made this recipe for years, it is easy to adapt to what you have on hand. But it is the best with garden fresh potatoes, carrots and tomatoes.

.
Harvest Vegetable Beef Soup
1 pound good stew meat or left over roast beef
1 large onion
1 1/2 quarts water
4 cups fresh or canned tomatoes, blended
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons salt
pepper
fresh parsley
1 clove garlic
1 bay leaf
6 whole allspice
Brown meat and onion in a little olive oil. Add water and tomatoes, salt and Worcestershire sauce. Put garlic, bay leaf and whole allspice in tea ball. Simmer till meat is tender, about 2 hours if using stew meat, less if using leftover roast beef. Remove tea ball and contents.
Add 3/4 cups diced celery
3 sliced carrots
2 cups diced potatoes
1 cup corn
Simmer till tender. Adjust seasonings, add pepper, minced parsley and shaved Parmesan cheese.
Serve with Rosemary Bread

2 comments:

Kayte said...

The soup and bread look like a perfect meal to me...oh, that all looks so great. Need to fire up that soup pot soon around here. I have the same sort of childhood memory on this...just makes me smile to think about it.

Grandma Scott said...

Sounds good. Like the cowboy stew without the Taco Seasoning. Much Better.