Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

TWD Basic Marbled Loaf Cake


Well, we made another winner this week--I think I have said that more than once. This basic cake starts out with butter, that's always good. Sugar and eggs are mixed in, the batter looks pretty curdled at this point. But Dorie lets you know that curdled is normal and not to worry. I love this cookbook! The recipes are written as if Dorie is standing by my side cheering me on, giving me little snippets of information to help be have a successful baking experience.


This is a 'basic' recipe with many variations. I went with the Peppermint Marble Loaf (Dories Favorite). Melted white chocolate is mixed into half the batter along with peppermint extract. Semi-sweet chocolate is added to the other half. Now comes the fun part--marbling the two flavors. I used my cookie scoop to randomly drop batter into my pans. I didn't swirl--swirling gets away from me and I end up with batter that is neither dark nor light. I made my loaf cake into mini bundt cakes. This is a great basic recipe with many possibilities. My next cake will be Chocolate and Orange--I may even try to 'marble'!
The complete recipe can be found on Carol's blog The Bake More. I'm sure the creative TWD bakers had fun with this recipe.

18 comments:

Valerie Gamine said...

Lovely presentation! And you're so right, Dorie does make it feel as though she's baking along with you through her book. :D

Bella Baker said...

your cake looks amazing!! Your no marbling technique worked out perfectly!!

Nicole said...

I layered the batter too and swirled a bit and mine wasn't that swirly. I also made the chocolate peppermint version.

Chaya said...

I shouldn't have swirled. Yours is a role model for my cake. Beautiful job, Cindy.

Pamela said...

I agree, I LOVE this book. I will be very sad when TWD is finished, but this book will probably always be my #1 go-to baking book. You've got a lovely cake!

Peggy the Baker said...

Lovely little bundts! I am enjoying looking at the pictures of all the variations on this delightful cake. And I agree about Dorie and her book--I feel like I'm taking a one-n-one baking class each time I make a recipe.

Unknown said...

Such a pretty picture of a delicious cake. I love mini bundts - great choice!

The Bake More said...

No need to marble, your cake looks wonderful. Kinda like the Ying and Yang version of marbling. Thanks for baking with me this week. --- Carol

Jacque said...

I will have to try the peppermint version next time, it sounds delish. Nice job, they look great... I hear you on the swirling, sometimes it works and sometimes it's a bust.

miss kate said...

pretty! I also appreciate the little "you're doing it right" reminders.

Peggy said...

What beautiful photos! Your cake looks perfect to me. Love Dorie's book. Dorie makes things seem so easy. I used the chocolate and peppermint version.

Anonymous said...

Your cake looks lovely! I don't like it over-marbled either. I love Dorie's "don't worry" notes too!

Flourchild said...

Wow it looks perfect! I love it!

Katrina said...

I love the way your bundt version looks!

natalia said...

Ciao Cindy ! Nice shape for the cake ! I love the pictures too !

TeaLady said...

Love swirled cakes as each slice is different.

Lovely.

Kayte said...

What a beautiful presentation...again...you are so good at presenting things in their best ways...I love the use of this pan for this cake. Each little slice is a work of art, isn't it, all unique and different. Very fun to tour around the blogs this week and see all the marbling.

Hindy said...

Your cake is beautiful! I want to try the peppermint variation.