Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Chocolate Iced Cookie Bars


Seems like I often find myself in a position where I need a treat--quick. Not just I have a craving, (that does happen too), but I need to deliver a treat to someone, quick. Now I can make a batch of Food Processor Cookies and have them ready to go in 30 minutes but a girl needs choices.
I saw this recipe on Lizzy's blog and knew I had to make them. I'm happy to say they were plated and out the door in under 2 hours! Bar cookies are perfect for a quick treat especially if you help them 'cool' in the freezer. It does work.
This bar cookie was rich with butter and dark brown sugar. The frosting was an added bonus. Don't be afraid to spread it thick, you'll thank me later.



Chocolate Iced Cookie Bars
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1 cup DARK brown sugar (7 ounces)
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla
Frosting
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup milk
6 tablespoons cocoa
1 pound powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Line a 9x13 pan with foil, spray. Whisk flour, soda and salt in a bowl. In a large bowl combine sugars and melted butter, whisk. Add egg and egg yolk and vanilla stir till smooth. Gently fold in dry ingredients. Do not over mix. Smooth batter in pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 27-30 minutes until golden brown. Cool, lift bars from pan and cool completely. If you are in a hurry (I always am) put it in the freezer for a few minutes.

While bars are cooling make frosting. Combine butter, milk and cocoa in a saucepan. Whisk and cook for about 5 minutes, mixture will just come to a boil. Pour in bowl of mixer. Beat 1 minute. Gradually add powdered sugar, beat until smooth. Add vanilla. Frost cooled bars. Using an offset spreader will make your life easier. Cut the bars and get them out of the house quick. They are dangerously delicious.



19 comments:

Debra Eliotseats said...

Oh, my. These do look delicious. Love Lizzy's blog. She has the best sweet recipes!

Unknown said...

Delicious as always!!!!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

Oh that chocolate icing! I want a whole vat of that!

Cakelaw said...

I adore the look of the thick chocolate frosting - who doesn't want to sink their teeth into such a delicious treat?

Beth said...

If this recipe came from Lizzy's blog, it's bound to be terrific!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Yours look terrific! I'm so glad you enjoyed them, too :) And how fun to pop in and see such sweet comments!! This made my day!

Natasha in Oz said...

I will definitely be trying these (and adding the extra icing!)-thanks for the great recipe!

My weekly Say G'Day linky party is on now and I would be thrilled if you could link up this delicious post!

Best wishes,
Natasha in Oz

Bubbe Bites said...

Lizzy has lots of wonderful recipes. I will have to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing with us.

Unknown said...

I love bar cookies. Makes things so much easier!

Anonymous said...

these look delectable! what a great treat - I'd love a couple of these!
Mary x

Katrina said...

Mmm, those look and sound good. Do you know what they were/are like a day or two later? I'm involved in planning dessert for one night at a family reunion in 3 weeks.

Katrina said...

Mmm, those look and sound good. Do you know what they were/are like a day or two later? I'm involved in planning dessert for one night at a family reunion in 3 weeks.

Erin said...

Oh my gosh! Your bars look wonderful!!! A perfect treat to take somewhere! YUM!

Kayte said...

Takes me back to my childhood when my friend's mom used to make something like this...she would leave one little corner without the chocolate for me and I felt so loved...lol! I bet Matt would like these...a nice pan of these to go down for them to share at the house would be good, yes? YES!

Gloria - The Ginger Snap Girl said...

Look at all that thick chocolate icing! Yum.

Julie said...

Oh my these look so good! That chocolate frosting looks like something I would eat by itself! Thanks so much for sharing on Marvelous Mondays!

Julie

Unknown said...

I just made this and it is absolutely amazing!! so delicious - great for a sweet snack!

Krista said...

Oh my goodness gracious! These cookie bars look fabulous. I might have to break down and make them even though I am so busy today... I can ignore the kids for an hour to make these right? They are pinned in case I wait for later lol :) Krista @ A Handful of Everything

Winnie said...

These brownies look Fantastic!
They what I call - delicious treats :)