Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Whole Wheat Loaves TWD/BWJ



Making bread has been a big part of my life.  With 6 children at home making homemade bread was a necessity. We went through plenty of peanut butter sandwiches. Making bread was a big savings. I had a Bosch Bread Mixer and a wheat grinder that sounded like it had an airplane engine! I made 6-8 loaves of bread every week. Over the years my bread making has all but subsided--how much bread can two people eat? I do however believe in the skill of bread making. My daughters are great bread makers. If you master the art of bread making you can be the hit of any gathering. A pan of hot rolls is always welcome! A loaf of homemade bread and a jar of jam makes a wonderful hostess gift.


So what happened to my bread today?? Well, as I said making bread is a skill--if not practiced one becomes rusty. I started out great. Fresh yeast, freshly ground flour. I was off to a great start, the dough felt perfect and it raised as it should. My problem was in my pans. Yes, pans. I didn't have the sized specified in the recipe so I used pans that were too big. I let the dough raise to much and when it hit the heat the loaves deflated. The bread was too coarse. This was my fault, not the recipe! I asked Hubby's advice on how to photograph my less than perfect loaves. Cut thick slices was his remark. So I did. This bread didn't taste bad. I will give it another try. These loaves will become salad croutons.
Hopefully my fellow TWD bakers had better luck. Check Michele and Teresa's blogs for the complete recipe. And learn to make bread--it's a good thing to do.

23 comments:

Cher Rockwell said...

Wow - six to eight loaves a week! That's a lot of dough :-)
Lovely pictures.

Baking is my Zen...sweet nibbles for the soul said...

Croutons...what a great idea! :)

Carmen

Sara said...

I'm sorry it wasn't as good as you were hoping. Mine wasn't spectacular either. Yours still looks good1

loavesandstitches said...

They look good! And I am impressed that you ground your own wheat. Hopefully, next time you'll be happier with the result.

Teresa said...

The slices look great, even if they didn't get the height necessary.

pamkaren said...

Ahh, with all your past experience I think you are too hard on yourself! Yours do look good sliced and I bet tasty too!

Bev said...

I think that bread looks wonderful- as much bread as you have baked; you are quite a judge. I have made bread for many years & it is always just a little bit different each time.

Catherine said...

6 children, 6 to 8 loaves a week. And now ... "how many loaves can 2 people eat." Your post makes me miss my boys. They are grown with children of their own and live 1200 miles from their mom. I wish I were making 6 to 8 loaves a week again. Don't you? Blessings, Catherine www.praycookblog.com

Andrea_TheKitchenLioness said...

Cindy, I am impressed at your bread baking resume and I love that you wrote that your daughter are wonderful bread bakers - the idea of your kids learning to bake and cook with you and continue to do so after they have left the house is wonderful - I enjoyed reading your post very much!

Anita Rowe Stafford said...

Your bread looks beautiful anyway, and I'm sure the taste was wonderful! I'm planning to try a new whole wheat recipe today, wish me luck! I love bread baking too!

Cakelaw said...

Your bread looks good, even though it didn't meet your expectations. I loved this recipe.

Unknown said...

I too have the bosch and the grinder that sounds like a jet engine. I think the grinder is what puts me off most about making bread. I always use earplugs and do it in the laundry room so I can shut the door while it grinds.

Gillian and Inge said...

Six to eight loaves a week, impressive! We were wondering about the spread next to the bread in your beautiful photographs? What is it? Great job.

Jill said...

Your bread looks wonderful to me. This was a great recipe and you should definitely give it another try!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

You'd never know it wasn't perfect! And how nice that your hubby is so helpful...mine wouldn't have a clue (he does have many other good qualities, though, LOL).

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...

Well your pictures do your loaves justice! I love homemade croutons -
rubbed with fresh garlic - yummm

Marilyn said...

Sounds like you know exactly how to fix the problem, but really the bread looks very edible in the picture!

Anonymous said...

Well they look wonderful and you are an experienced bread maker - I always invite disaster making bread :(( - just love your pictures
Mary x

Beth said...

I agree that baking bread is a great skill to have. I used to make it quite often as a teenager, but I've got out of the habit. I baked bread on occasion with my girls when they were little, and it turned out fine, but I wish I was still in the habit of making it regularly.

Kathy said...

Sorry this didn’t turn out great for you…but your husband was right…your photos look great and so does the bread!

Katrina said...

I think your bread looks great. Try that other recipe I linked on my post for 100% whole wheat. It is/was great bread. I've made it a few times. Have you ever made bread with vital wheat gluten in it?

Sweet and That's it said...

oh no, what a pity it did not turn out as beautiful and yummy as expected.
I'm a "baking bread addicted" and for me, there's nothing better than homemade bread.

Kayte said...

Bread dough has it's own mind at times, doesn't it? Even the tried and true recipe can sometimes have a mind of its own. It all looks lovely, and your photo is such a comforting one.