Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Garden Tomato Soup


 When I need new recipes I often just ask one of my daughters. They are always cooking something good. Candise loves to garden and has had a large garden plot since she has lived in Idaho. Not just a few plants but a garden that provides enough produce that she cans plenty. I enjoyed many years of canning. Canning
food, especially if you have grown it is a very satisfying activity. Jars of fruits and veggies lined up on the shelves of a storage room is a beautiful thing. Here is a shout out to all those who can!

This recipe is made with garden fresh produce. Can you can it? I really don't know but consult your Ball Blue Book or your County Extension Agent. They know everything there is to know about canning food in your locale.
I have a great recipe for Quick Tomato Soup--made with canned tomatoes. It is delicious, I make it often. But when your garden is full of tomatoes, onion and basil this soup can't be beat. Try it. 



 Garden Tomato Soup
 2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion- diced
A handful of fresh basil
8 cups tomatoes, peeled and quartered
2-3 T. tomato paste
3 cups chicken broth
1 t. sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
3/4 to 1 cup cream

Saute the onion in the olive oil until brown, then add basil and saute.  Add tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, and sugar.

Let soup simmer for about 15 minutes, then blend to desired consistency with immersion blender.  Taste and add salt, pepper, or more tomato paste if necessary.  When simmered to desired consistency, add cream.

You can also blend the tomatoes prior to adding to onions and basil – but I like the thickness of blending them with the broth/onions/etc.
This recipe is what tomato soup should be, fresh, flavorful and a little creamy. Perfect.
This recipe made plenty, I served it with grilled cheese sandwiches for a delicious fall meal. It would probably freeze but I would not add the cream until I served it. Cream doesn't always freeze well.

This recipe is a reason to own an Immersion Blender. It makes quick work of what could be a messy job. 

8 comments:

Cakelaw said...

This looks delicious, and I do love tomato soup.

Lois Evensen said...

Ah, tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. That's a favorite here. I learned to add a hard boiled egg to my soup when I met my husband. So good!

momto8 said...

thank you for this timely recipe. i am looking at another beautiful pot full of tomatoes from my garden and wondering what else i could do....I will try this and freeze it...

Beth said...

Anything made with garden fresh produce is bound to be terrific!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, gosh, even though I just made tomato soup a few weeks ago, you've made me crave it again! And perfectly paired with a gooey grilled cheese :)

Jenn said...

I just made a similar recipe using tomatoes from my Mom's garden and it was really good, but only had a light tomato flavor. I didn't add tomato paste, but I think that would have been a great addition. Next time, I will add it!

Kayte said...

Looks good, looks simple, looks like just the right combination for a lunch here...thanks.

Gloria - The Ginger Snap Girl said...

There are few better things then your own garden bounty and fresh made meal. That soups looks delicious! Especially with that pretty grilled cheese next to it. ;)