Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

White Chocolate studded Pumpkin Scones--Frosted of course.


Oh I love pumpkin! I think pumpkin is a vegetable so one should eat it often--especially in scones for breakfast. It is no secret, I love scones. They are my favorite food group. This recipe is a combination of several recipes with my twist. Please enjoy. I made a double batch of scones, unbaked they freeze perfectly. After I cut them I flash freeze them then put them in a Zip Lock Freezer Bag. Make sure you label them. They keep in the freezer for a month. I had an early appointment today--no time to bake. But I remembered the scones in the freezer. They bake from the frozen state, the results were beautiful. I had a delicious treat to gift to my 11:00 appointment. Yes, that is early for this tired body!

White Chocolate Studded Pumpkin Scones--with a Spice Glaze/Frosting
2 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar (3.5 ounces)
1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup very cold butter (I put mine in the freezer for 15 minutes)
1/3 cup heaping buttermilk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
In a large bowl mix together flour, brown sugar, spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With a grater, grate butter into bowl with flour. Mix gently with your hands--you want to see the butter!
Mix together the buttermilk, pumpkin and vanilla. Pour over flour/butter mixture and mix gently. Add white chocolate chips. Mixture will be dry and shaggy. If you must add more buttermilk please only add a drop or two. Pour mixture on a floured piece of parchment. Knead the mass gently 3 or 4 times, it should come together nicely, it will still be quite dry. That's fine. There is plenty of moisture in the pumpkin.
Pat in a circle about 1-1 1/2 inches thick. Cut into 8 triangles. At this point you can bake off a few and freezer the rest. Whatever works for you. I do love having homemade hidden treasures in my freezer. It's like finding gold in a gold mine!
Put the scones on a parchment covered baking stone. Bake at 350 degrees for about 18 minutes. They should feel done to the touch--a toothpick should come out almost clean. Do not over bake, no one likes a dry scone!
Cool scones on a rack. When cool drizzle with this amazing frosting--I like my drizzle to make a statement!

Spice Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 tablespoons butter, very soft
Heavy Whipping Cream
Mix all ingredients, add cream until the desired consistency. Drizzle away!



15 comments:

Beth said...

I love scones too, and you've just reminded me that I haven't made any in a while. Yum!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Hi Cindy, what a delicious recipe you've shared! All your recipes look soooo good. Do you have an email sign-up? xo

Kayte said...

That looks so beautiful!

Lois Evensen said...

Oh, my, I need to eat some of these. I love pumpkin and chocolate IS a food group, you know.... *very serious look*

Unknown said...

I confess, I am a terrible scone maker. But these look so good, I might have to try again.

Nedra said...

Those almost look evil :) (as Judi would say). I need to practice more at making scones, and this looks like the perfect recipe for left over canned pumpkin.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I just discovered that they froze well unbaked! Love the white chocolate-pumpkin combo! Wish I was your 11 AM appt :)

momto8 said...

oh yum!! that looks delicious.

Erin said...

WOW! Your scones look wonderful! I just started loving pumpkin so I will have to make these for sure. I know my co-workers would love it =o)

Winnie said...

OMG - it looks soooooooooooo delicious. I wish I could just grab it via the screen

Suhaina said...

never had it before. looks deliciuos.

Lindsay said...

Love the flavors, cant wait to try it! Thank you so much for linking up to Sunday's Sweet Confessions over at mommy's sweet confessions! Have a great day!

Jenn said...

Oh yeah, you have gotta add the glaze! These look delicious!

Gloria - The Ginger Snap Girl said...

Most definitely frosted is the way to go with scones. I love the fall flavors. I just can't seem to get enough of pumpkin this year. These look great!

Deb @ Kneaded Creations said...

Oh, my goodness.....what a fabulous combination! Truly Epic! I have to PIN this one! Thanks for sharing it on Marvelous Mondays Link Party! Deb @ Kneaded Creations