Pages

Monday, January 6, 2014

Low an Slow Cooked Salmon


I live in land locked Utah where fresh sea food usually isn't that fresh. But, I happen to have brothers that venture to Alaska each summer to fish. They bring back fresh salmon, halibut and shrimp and they are nice enough to share. Here is my latest attempt to cook salmon.
I have a delicious Teryiaki Salmon recipe that I make often but as a true foodie I am always looking for something better/different/new. And I found it! This recipe cooks salmon at a low heat for a longer period of time, it stays moist and delicious. Give it a try, it just may become you new favorite way to cook salmon.

Low an Slow Cooked Salmon
12 ounces of salmon that has been out of the refrigerator for 30 minutes--this makes 2 servings
Sliced orange and lemon
Zest of one lemon
1 shallot, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 tablespoons chopped basil, cilantro or other fresh herb
1 teaspoon dried dill--I recommend Pampered Chef's All Purpose Dill Mix
1 tablespoon olive oil
Sea salt
Mix herbs, zest, shallot and dill together, add oil and form a thick paste. Cover a baking pan with foil. Layer orange and lemon slices on pan--about the size of the fish you are using. Figure 6 ounces per person. This recipe was created using a 12 ounce piece of salmon. Put the salmon on the fruit slices. Cover the top of the salmon with the herb mixture. Sprinkle with sea salt.
Bake in a heated 250 degree oven--put a round cake pan half full of water on the rack just lower than you salmon. Bake the salmon at 250 for about 30 minutes. My salmon piece was very thick--I needed the full 30 minutes and then a few. Fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork.
I served this salmon with some delicious Coconut Lime Rice and some steamed spinach. It was perfect!
Printable Recipe
I read several recipes on this method of cooking The Kitchn had some great helps as did Steamy Kitchen. Oh please don't judge this wonderful dish by this poor photo--it is delicious!

1 comment:

Debra Eliotseats said...

I know that is why I am not a seafood fan--growing up in landlocked Oklahoma. Lucky you to get Alaskan salmon!