Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

New York Crumb Cake


This recipe is all over blog land right now, it comes from the cookbook Baked Explorations. This is an ultra rich recipe with 3 1/2 cubes of butter and over a cup of sour cream. How can it not be wonderful? It was good, but altitude played its mean tricks. The sides seem to rise faster than the middle. That resulted in high sides with little crumb and a dense middle with a lot of crumb. It's not bad--just not the beautiful evenly risen cake I wanted. I did try decreasing the leavening a bit--I guess not enough. There are many 'fixes' for high altitude baking but nothing that works every time.
So, if you live at sea level I think this cake would be amazing. If you live over 5000 feet you have challenges. I think I just need to purchase a 'mile high' baking book. Off to check out Amazon--don't you just love 1 click shopping. It's dangerous.
If you want the recipe just Google New York Crumb Cake--you will see several recipes and some great photos.

8 comments:

Amber said...

Bummer!! But was it tasty though? Was it worth the pound of butter?

Kayte said...

Oh, goodness, I made this Tuesday! Figured that much butter, sugar, etc. qualified for Fat Tuesday! I just got Baked Explorations and last week we baked the Sweet & Salty Brownies and this week the NY Crumb Cake! A bunch of us on Twitter bake together. I hadn't thought to post these, we were just making them for fun. The guys here loved this one! Yours looks great...fun that we made this the same week and it wasn't an assignment!

Barbara Bakes said...

Baking with that much butter gives me pause. It doesn't stop me from making it usually, but 3 1/2 sticks wow! It must be fabulous. Bonnie posted high altitude guidelines that I like to use http://cityhomecountryhome.blogspot.com/2010/08/high-altitude-baking-and-candy-making.html

Unknown said...

I am never going to argue against too much crumb topping :)

It looks tasty!! Your pics are great!

Tia said...

ive tried this recipe and LOVE IT. Then again, it's rare for a crumb cake to fail my expectations, lol.

Sue said...

Well, it looks GOOD to me! I especially love that crumb topping:)

Hindy said...

Yours turned out lovely! It still think it was too sweet. But a fun experiment.

Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

This looks great!