Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Glazed Poppy Seed Bread


I'm a fan of small loaves of sweet bread. For some reason small loaves work for me. They cook evenly, they don't dip in the center with a raw middle and they are so easy to share. I was assigned to bring sweet bread to a church function. I couldn't decide what to bring so I made 3 recipes. Occasionally hubby calls me an over achiever. I just say that I like to cook! I'm alway looking for someone to give food to so this was the perfect opportunity to overachieve!
I made a personal favorite, Date Nut Loaf; a wonderful recipe by Dorie Greenspan. It is really more of a cake that happens to be baked in a loaf pan. I also made a delicious spice laden Zucchini Bread with Coconut, Apples and Walnuts and last I made a Glazed Poppy Seed Bread. All three were excellent but the Poppy Seed went first!

Glazed Poppy Seed Bread
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 1/4 cups sugar
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup poppy seeds
Glaze
1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon almond extract
Spray pans with Pam for Baking, I used 4 Pampered Chef Mini Stoneware pans
In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and oil. In a smaller bowl combine the sugar, flour, salt and baking powder, mix well. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and combine. Add 1/2 cup milk and stir. Add 1/3 dry ingredients and mix. Add 1/2 cup milk and stir. Add last third of flour, extracts and poppy seeds. Combine well.
Pour batter in prepared pans. Bake at 350 until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out with small crumbs attached. With small pans start checking after about 30 minutes.
While bread is baking combine the glaze ingredients and mix well. When bred is done allow to cool in pan about 5 minutes. Remove bread from pan and place on a wire rack. Brush the tops of the bread with the glaze while the bread is still warm. Continue brushing or pour glaze over bread. Cool completely before slicing.
Recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe

2 comments:

Kayte said...

I love those little loaves for those reasons as well. I could never be presented with a tray of breads like this...I would want a piece of each one as they look so good. How could anyone choice just one of these? They're small, right? lol

Nedra said...

I remember attending a Pampered Chef party years ago with you as the host and purchasing a bread tube. Do you think those recipes would work in one?