Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

The Ultimate Fish Taco



I've decided I like the word Ultimate--maybe this year's quest will be to find the Ultimate_____fill in the blank. Can we talk about Fish Tacos for a minute? Hubby spent a week in Alaska having the fishing trip of a lifetime with my brothers. It really is a win/win trip, he has fun and brings me home a big cooler full of very fresh shrimp, salmon and halibut. I have salmon figured out  but seem to struggle with the perfect halibut/shrimp taco.
Now I have made some excellent delicious attempts but something was missing. Enter Rachel Ray and her famous 30 Minute Meals. I happened upon a Light and Latin segment, she was making fish tacos etc. Well, I watched the show and tried the recipes out immediately. 30 minutes--no--but delicious--yes!!
The halibut had a yummy rub and was quickly broiled and flaked. The Tomatillo Sauce really made the taco. The meal was finished off by an amazing Mexican Rice. Rice is important to me in Mexican cooking because I don't love beans. Rice is my filler of choice.
So today I will share the Halibut and Tomatillo Sauce. Tomorrow we will chat about Mexican Rice. These components along with some angel shredded cabbage and corn tortillas will provide The Ultimate Fish Taco!

Grilled Halibut
1 lime zest and juice
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
1 teaspoon chili powder
4 (6 to 8 ounce) Halibut fillets
In a small bowl mix together the lime zest and juice, oil, Old Bay and chili powder. Rub it on both sides of the halibut. Let sit for 15-20 minutes. Grill or broil halibut for 3-4 minutes per side until it easily flakes with a fork. Flake fish with a fork and set aside.

Tomatillo Sauce
1 tablespoon oil
small red onion diced
1 jalapeno chopped
2 cloves garlic--pressed
8-10 peeled, rinsed, coarsely chopped tomatillos
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 lemon, zest and juice
1 heaping tablespoon honey
1 small ripe avocado
Heat oil in a pan on medium high heat, add onion, jalapeno and garlic. Saute 3-4 minutes until just beginning to soften. Add tomitillos, salt and pepper and cumin. Cool for 6-7 minutes until soft. Carefully add hot ingredients to a food processor--I'm sure an immersion blender would work too. Add lemon zest, juice, honey and avocado. Process till smooth. Reserve. It is delicious on fish and shrimp tacos and it works well with chips too. It is just yummy.

5 comments:

Amber said...

Yummy mom! These look so good! I make a similar version of the tomatillo sauce, but I roast the tomatillos instead, I'll have to give this a try! I hope the rice recipe is coming up soon!

Nedra said...

I have tried Fish Tacos at many, many restaurants, and have found few that "do it right". My favorite place of all was in a little out of the way place in Los Gatos, CA.
Your recipe looks delish! How wonderful to have Halibut fresh from Alaska!

Katrina said...

I LOVE fish tacos. It's my go-to at all Mexican restaurants. I need to make them at home more often.

Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness said...

I have never tried fish taco, but I do love fish and I love tacos. Your fish tacos look so yummy. You are so lucky to have the fresh fish and shrimp.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I adore fish tacos and these look sensational!!!