Pages

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Idaho Party Cookies



My daughter called to tell me she tasted the best cookie. My girls know I am always on the lookout for a good cookie! She said they were rich, delicious, chewy, full of nuts, coconut and chocolate. 'Get the recipe',  I begged!

Candise called me a few days later, 'there's good news and bad news mom'. 'I have the recipe, but it has butter flavored Crisco'! We have a general dislike for Crisco at our house. Butter is so much better. So, being the good daughter she is, Candise made the recipe with all butter. Good but not beautiful, the cookies spread more and just weren't as uniform. She then made the recipe with all Butter Flavored Crisco. Perfect shape, delicious cookie. I ate several and decided they were pretty good. We made one more batch with 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup butter flavored Crisco. They had a great flavor, and better shape especially if the batter was chilled before baking.

So, my friends, I will leave the decision to you. You can't go wrong here. If Crisco doesn't bother you you will have one beautiful, delicious tasting cookie. Use butter and you sacrifice the looks. So many decisions.
Try one and let me know what you think.

Thanks Candise for all your help with this recipe. I feel like America's Test Kitchen!


Idaho Party Cookies
1 cup butter flavored Crisco ( may use butter)
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup corn flakes, crushed to 1/2 cup
3/4 cup coconut
2 cups flour
1 cup walnuts
2-3 cups chocolate--I used a combo of lagre milk chocolate chips and Peter's Semi-Sweet Burgundy Chunks
Cream butter, Crisco, and sugars.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Mix in dry ingredients, nuts, and chocolate!
Bake at 350 for 12 minutes.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

yummy! You can go ahead and drop a few of those in the mail to me momma...I'm sure you need someone to take a few off your hands :)

I bet the crushed corn flakes are a fun addition!

Kayte said...

Those look really good. I am like you on the Crisco thing...it just always seems creepy to me for some reason. Even with a spread, I bet these cookies look and taste wonderful.

Kayte said...

Those look really good. I am like you on the Crisco thing...it just always seems creepy to me for some reason. Even with a spread, I bet these cookies look and taste wonderful.

Tia said...

I don't mind crisco... i'll be making these for sure!

Katrina said...

What's with Idaho in the name? I'm from Idaho.
I did grow up with just shortening in the ccc's. But I only use butter now. Shortening does give a good texture, but I don't like using it anymore.

Grandma Scott said...

Thanks Candise for bringing them to my house...Those were so good and I don't usually like cookies.
They have just the right amount of gooey, crunchy, and just yummy...
Sorry, but I think I'm a Crisco girl
grew up with it and love the texture. Never tried butter flavored but am now.

Tessa said...

These seem like a wonderful loaded cookie. I actually don't have a strong stance on the Crisco. I definitely use butter when possible, but there are some cases where I haven't found a great substitute =(

Emily said...

I just made these for the SRC November posting. My husband and I quickly ate the first batch. We made a second to bring home at Thanksgiving and people starting gobbling them up before the pie!