Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Very Chocolate Zucchini Bread


'Tis the Season', the zucchini season that is. Good cooks everywhere are trying to find ways to cook or disguise zucchini. This chocolate bread is perfect. It is very chocolaty, the zucchini adds moistness and a fun texture. It comes together quickly and is perfect to share. This recipe comes from Sugared Whisk, a very fun blog.

Chocolate Zucchini Bread
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place oven rack in the center of the oven. Grease a 9″x5″x3″ loaf pan and set aside.
-Grate the zucchini, using a medium sized grater; set aside.
-In a large bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and allspice; set aside.
-In the bowl of your electric mixer, or by hand if you prefer, beat the oil, sugars, eggs, and vanilla until well blended (about 2 minutes). Fold in the grated zucchini. Add the flour mixture, beating just until combined, then the chocolate chips and nuts. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the bread has risen and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 55 to 65 minutes.
-Place on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes, then remove the bread from the pan and cool completely on wire rack.
-I have also baked this in smaller pans for gift giving. I have a pampered chef stoneware pan with four mini loaves, this recipe filled 3 of them.
Linked to This Chick Cooks
               Cast Party Wednesday

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, this looks good. I love zucchini cooked in any form so I may have to give this a shot. Great recipe!

Zoe said...

Oh, this looks delicious!! I normally need some zucchini bread recipes, but sadly not this year- hopefully next year!!

Casey said...

I am not sure what the zucchini does for the recipe. Does it change the texture? I doubt it changes the flavor.

I love zucchini bread and muffins but I think, I like the other flavors in the cake.

Yours looks lovely.

alissa {33shadesofgreen} said...

Yes - It's definitely zucchini season! I have one plant and still can't keep up with all the zucchini. Your bread looks delicious - I think I'm going to give it a try.

~Amber~ said...

Glad to hear that you enjoyed this bread. It is definitely a very chocolately bread.

Jenn said...

Yum - I love chocolate and zucchini together! Keep the zucchini recipes coming.

Miss Young said...

I've been wanting to make a chocolate zucchini recipe, this one looks delicious!
Thanks for stopping by, I love looking at your recipes!

Unknown said...

I doubled the recipe and made 2 loaves of this recipe today. Its delicious. Very chocolately
and so, so good.

Candise said...

This has become a favorite at our house...though Eliza Jane refused to call it "bread". It is CAKE!!! Thanks for sharing mom.