Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Coconut Curry Soup


I do love it when my girls come to visit, they are great cooks. Candise offered to make dinner, I quickly brought up a recipe I've had pinned for ages. It was the perfect day for Coconut Curry Soup, a 30 minute meal that was delicious. It comes together quickly and will no doubt disappear quickly too. Don't be afraid of the fish sauce, it is readily available in the Asian section of the any grocery store. It keeps in the fridge for ages and is a must for many Asian dishes. Trust me on this one.
This soup was also great for lunch the next day. Actually hubby and I were fighting over the leftovers. This will be in the dinner rotation often this winter. Thank you Candise!

Coconut Curry Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken tenders, cut in 1 inch pieces, seasoned with salt and pepper
1/2 cup diced onion
1 red pepper, large dice
1 can chicken broth (2 cups)
1 can (14 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Heat olive oil in pan till shimmering, add chicken and cook for 2 minutes. Add onion and pepper stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, coconut milk, fish sauce, cayenne pepper, brown sugar and curry powder. Simmer gently for 10-15 minutes. Stir in lime juice and cilantro.
Serve a ladle or two over a scoop of hot rice. Garnish with more cilantro.
I think next time I might add some sliced carrots or bamboo shoots. Many possibilities.
This is another great recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe.

3 comments:

Nedra said...

This soup looks absolutely delicious! I love curry and coconut milk combos. I will be trying this one this week!

Unknown said...

I bet the flavor is tremendous. Looks pretty too.

Kristin@gratefulbelly.com said...

Hey, I'm featuring this at What's New Wednesday this week. Thanks so much for sharing it! :)