Pages

Friday, May 4, 2012

Potatoes Au Gratin--in a Crock Pot



I have an interesting cooking dilemma, We are mostly empty nesters, now that is not a bad thing. I find it quite enjoyable to cook for two. But when our children visit the numbers change. Last night for example we had 6 adults and 7 children here for dinner.
So, enter the humble crock pot. This gem saved the dinner day. I was cooking chicken in the oven in preparation to put it on the grill, garlic bread was next in line. How do I cook a potato dish with a full oven?
 The crock pot was the answer. I had pinned a recipe for Potatoes Au Gratin in the Crock Pot and they were delicious.  It freed up the oven and also allowed me to have the potatoes prepped and cooking before my cute grandchildren arrived. It is a recipe I will use often.
 Thank you Tina from Mom's Crazy Cooking for sharing this recipe. It's a keeper.

            
   

 Potatoes Au Gratin in the Crock Pot
6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced--this is what a mandolin is for!
8 ounces shredded cheese--I cleaned out my cheese drawer and used a combination of cheddar, provolone and Gruyere. I imagine most any cheese would work
3 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
6 cloves garlic, crusher
garlic salt, kosher salt and Lawry's Seasoning Salt
Butter the inside of your crock pot or spray with Pam. Layer the potatoes and season with garlic salt, the next layer season with Kosher salt, the following layer with Lawry's. Repeat layers seasoning each layer. Use plenty of seasoning or your potatoes will be bland.
Melt butter, stir in flour. Bring to a boil and let simmer a minute or two. Add the milk and garlic and cook stirring often until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and add cheese, stir until smooth.
Pour cheese sauce over potatoes--don't stir just shake a bit to make sure cheese sauce gets to the bottom.
Put a double thickness of paper towel on top of the crock pot place lid on. Cook on high for 2 hours, don't disturb. Check after 2 hours--I had to cook another 45 minutes.
Enjoy this dish--it will be ready when you are. Thanks Tiina



19 comments:

Paul & Kaytie said...

I've been on the look out for good crock pot recipes. I'm trying not to turn the oven on to much because it is sooo hot here. Thanks again. Love the pictures of the kids.

Unknown said...

That looks great!!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I have the same dilemma when the oven is full! I never thought of using the crock pot for potatoes, but these look divine! Have a great weekend, Cindy!

Beth said...

Potatoes in a crock pot - what a great idea! It's nice having the family all together.

Nedra said...

That is great to know it turned out well, and the potatoes were cooked all the way through. I often don't want to turn on the oven here in AZ during the summer, and love to use the crock pot.

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

Love it! Glad u enjoyed it a thanks for the link back! :-)

Kayte said...

Darling photo of the littles...and the potatoes look lovely as well. I love the crockpot as it always feels like there is a chef home cooking for me and it's ready when I walk in the door at night. Can't beat that...well, unless there really was a chef cooking for me! lol Looks like the perfect side for that chicken!

momto8 said...

oh yes! you definitely found an answer...looks just perfect!! enjoy your family!!

Gloria - The Ginger Snap Girl said...

What a great idea. It's always nice to free up the oven when you are cooking for a crowd. This looks tasty!

Gloria - The Ginger Snap Girl said...

Hey Cindy! I'm going to make these for mothers day. What type of potatoes did you use? Any idea how much 6 medium potatoes weigh?

Gloria - The Ginger Snap Girl said...

Hey Cindy. Thanks for the tips on what potatoes to use. I ended up going with Yukon Golds. The gratin was a huge hit with my family. Will definitely be making it again. ;)

Carole said...

Thanks for linking in. And a big thank you for following Carole's Chatter. Have a great week.

Tobins' Tastes said...

Ok, so I am going to have to make those so soon!

I would love for you to share these with my readers at Mealtime Monday.

Kaylee
www.couponingncooking.com

Carole said...

Cindy, thank you for linking this in to Food on Friday. We are now getting quite a collection of potato dishes together. Do stop by some of the other links to check them out! Cheers

Anonymous said...

This sounds so good I'm going to have to try it. Thank you for the recipe.
Pat

Anonymous said...

Why the paper towels on top. Will it not soak up your sauce?

Unknown said...

These sound so comforting and yummy!

Ang Paris said...

This looks so good! I saw your thumbnail on the Keep It Crockin Cool Crock Pot Giveaway link up and had to stop by. This is one of my favorite dishes, but I don't make it often because it's a lot of work... think I'll try it this way instead!
Now following you on Pinterest :)
Ang, Juggling Act Mama

Anonymous said...

What a delicious side dish, it looks great. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!