Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Sticky Apricot Chicken


This dish might take you back to 1980, I think I first made it then. I made it today because I refused to go to the grocery store one more time this week. I saw the recipe on Our Best Bites and realized I had everything in the house to make it, it was dinner. Actually it was lunch, hubby just couldn't eat fast food one more day so I quickly made this dish, had some cooked white rice in the fridge and delivered a 5-star lunch right to his desk. Yes, he loves me!

Sticky Apricot Chicken
 1 1/2 pounds chicken
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 package of Lipton Onion Soup Mix, divided
1/2 cup apricot or peach jam
1/2 cup Catalina Dressing
I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Trimmed of all visible fat, use a very sharp knife for this task. Sprinkle chicken with some Dry Onion Soup Mix about a tablespoon. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet till shimmering. Brown chicken on each side for about 2 minutes. Yes you need to brown the chicken it adds  flavor and color to the dish.
While the chicken is browning mix together cup apricot jam, Catalina Salad Dressing, and 1 tablespoon Dry Onion Soup Mix. Stir these together, pour them in your browning pan and scrape up all the good stuff. Return browned meat to heat proof skillet, drizzle apricot mixture over chicken. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven till oven thermometer registers 165 degrees. This took just 20 minutes. Larger pieces of chicken or pieces with bone will take a bit longer. Use your thermometer. Serve over white rice for a delicious lunch or dinner. At home I would serve with steamed spinach. At work Greg gets an apple, a yogurt and a couple of mini candy bars.

Just a shout out for Our Best Bites, we heard them speak at Time Out For Women in SLC. They were so much fun. They really do get life, they know what's important. They share a fun side on OBB but in real life they are wives and mothers and they realize the importance of these eternal callings. I have a great amount of respect for them. Their blog is awesome and their cookbooks are perfect gifts, to yourself, your husband, your sister and your mother. They really are full of fun. Thank you Kate and Sara.


7 comments:

Suhaina said...

Hi Cindy.. the apricot chicken looks delish.

Suhaina said...

Hello. This is my blog IP address. thanks for the email dear. Yet to try some of ur beautiful recipes. Will let u know after i post it.
http://www.mysingaporekitchen.com/

Cakelaw said...

Man that looks good Cindy. Laugh as you will at the 80s retro meals, this one is a goodie.

Anonymous said...

this looks wonderful - I LOVE a great chicken dish :)
Mary x

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Yes, I remember this dish...and I think I've made it in the past year or so! Good reminder to put it on my menu again :)

Heidi said...

Oh, my goodness. That chicken looks fantastic. I wish you'd deliver it to me for lunch! Beautiful picture, too (love your fork!). Thanks for linking up at One Creative Weekend! Enjoy your weekend.

Unknown said...

Oh this looks like you can taste it, a MUST try. Would love for you to visit me @ memoriesbythemile.com
New Follower and pinned it,
Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile