Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Potatoes Romanoff


I know I have a multitude of recipes at the touch of a button. Thanks to blogs, Pinterest, The Food Network etc. there is plenty to choose from. But I still enjoy opening the mailbox and seeing a new cooking magazine. I have limited the number I receive--recipe overload is real. This year I chose to subscribe to Cook's Country. I like the large format, the easy meals and I like to know why recipes work and Cooks gives me the information I enjoy. So this year you will see favorites from this magazine on my blog.
I'm always looking for a good potato recipe. We like potatoes in many forms. This recipe did not disappoint. It was yummy and worth the work for a special Sunday Dinner. You can also make this the day before, a plus for a busy cook.

Potatoes Romanoff
3 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 cup sour cream
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
4 scallions, white parts minced, green parts sliced thin on the bias
6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups) I like Tillimok

Toss potatoes with salt in a large bowl, cover and microwave until tender about 15 minutes. Stir once.
Whisk sour cream, cream cheese, cornstarch and pepper in a large bowl until combined. Whisk in chicken broth and scallion whites until incorporated. Fold in hot potatoes in two additions. Pour mixture in an 8 inch square baking dish. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Place dish on rimmed baking sheet and bake on upper middle oven rack for 15 to 20 minutes in a 425 degree oven. Casserole should be bubbling and cheese slightly brown. Let cool for 20 minutes. Sprinkle green onions on top. Serves 6 to 8.
You can make the casserole ahead and bake it at 425 for 30 to 35 minutes.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Serious comfort food at its best - YUM!
Mary x

Deb A said...

This looks yummy! I recently went through over 200 food magazines and tore out about 300 recipes to try! My favs are Food Network, Cooking Light, Sandra Lee and other misc ones... I better get busy! Have a great day, Deb

Debra Eliotseats said...

I would love a bowl of this right now. That is all. Just this side. Give me a spoon!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I am ALWAYS looking for new potato recipes...and this would be a crowd pleaser! YUM!

Unknown said...

wow, those look tasty!!! I will make them very soon!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kayte said...

Can I just come to your house and be offered that one little dish of this recipe because if I make a whole recipe, I would want to eat a good deal of it...love all the ingredients and your photo just makes it look impossible to pass up.

Gloria - The Ginger Snap Girl said...

Sounds decadent and delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Cakelaw said...

I am so naughty with my magazines and books - I love reading them, but when I need a recipe, I tend to go to the Internet because it takes so long to find anything in the magazines and books. These potatoes look delicious.

Tanya-Lemonsforlulu.com said...

I am a sucker for creamy and cheesy potatoes!!! A cozy comforting recipe! Thanks for sharing at One Creative Weekend!

Life according to Lenetta said...

-Hi I found you on the Blog hop. Now following you. Please stop by and say hi when you get a minute. have a great week. :) Please check out my new Weekly Goals Blog hop. You can find it here. http://lenettacarnes.blogspot.com/2013/01/weekly-goals-linkup.html#more Would love it if you would link up with me.

Heidi@OneCreativeMommy.com said...

I love this recipe. I'm excited to see how the chicken broth will add flavor. I'm so happy that you visited and linked up at One Creative Weekend at OneCreativeMommy.com. The next party starts tonight at 8:00 PM MST. I hope you'll be back.