Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Mini Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins


I really don't need a reason to make muffins but it is always nice to have someone to share them with. We had a church brunch. I knew there would be children present so I opted for a mini muffin. Dorie has a great lemon poppy seed muffin recipe in her book Baking, From My Home To Yours. I made a few minor changes. I added more lemon flavor and replaced some of the sour cream with non-fat Greek Yogurt. I made minis and I replaced the 'drizzle' with a frosting. I had one yummy muffin. I think you will like it!

Mini Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
2/3 cup sugar
zest of one large lemon
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
juice from 1 large lemon
1 stick butter, melted and cooled
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
Frosting
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter or cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon lemon zest
fresh lemon juice--to desired consistency

In a large bowl rub the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingertips. This will smell wonderful! Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl whisk together the sour cream (or Greek yogurt), eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and melted butter. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and, with a rubber spatula gently but quickly stir to blend. When mixing muffins a few lumps are better than over mixing. Add poppy seeds.
Scoop muffin in tins that have been sprayed with Pam. This recipe makes 12 regular size muffins or about 42 mini muffins. I use a large Pampered Chef Scoop for the large muffins and a small Pampered Chef Scoop for mini muffins. Bake muffins at 375. Regular muffins take about 18-20 minutes, mini muffins are done in 11-12 minutes.
Cool muffins and drizzle with frosting. To make frosting mix powdered sugar, butter and lemon zest. Add lemon juice till it reaches desired consistency.
Printable Recipe



1 comment:

Deb A said...

I love mini muffins and of course you know I love lemons! Thanks for sharing at MM last night! Hope you have a good week!!