Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

TWD/BWJ Rugelach



Can I just tell you how proud I am! When I first looked at Rugelach I decided it would be the recipe of the month I would skip. I knew Irish Soda Bread would be no challenge. But if this baking group is to be about challenge and putting myself outside my comfort zone I better make Rugelach.
The reason I make so many cookies is the instant gratification factor. Rugelach contains no part of instant!
But I did enjoy the process once I realized it was just that a process.
I made cream cheese pastry.
I chilled.
I chopped nuts.
I toasted nuts.
I chopped fruit.
I plumped fruit.
I made prune lekvar (I didn't even know there was such a thing as prune lekvar).
I made brown sugar mixture.
I made nut topping.
I rolled pastry out.
I filled pastry.
I rolled pastry.
I chilled rolls.
I egg washed.
I sliced.
I rolled slices in nut mixture.
I baked.
I ate, and ate and ate. They were delicious!


I kind of feel like Melinda Mae in the poem by Shel Silverstein.
                   Melinda Mae

User Rating:
5.4 /10
(31 votes)


Have you heard of tiny Melinda Mae,
Who ate a monstrous whale?
She thought she could,
She said she would,
So she started in right at the tail.

And everyone said,'You're much too small,'
But that didn't bother Melinda at all,
She took little bites and she chewed very slow,
Just like a little girl should...

...and in eighty-nine years she ate that whale
Because she said she would!!! 


And I made Rugelach--because I said I would!
For complete recipe and instructions please check Jessica's blog My Baking Heart.
 

24 comments:

Jenn said...

glad you said you'd make it!

Yum!

Kristin@gratefulbelly.com said...

Wow, you are one patient woman. It looks like it will be worth it, though!

Melissa said...

Love that poem!

Unknown said...

Lovely post :)they sure were fantastic!!!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

So time-consuming, but totally worth it, right? Thanks so much for baking along with me this week, Cindy! :)

Melissa said...

I like your list of steps. There sure were a lot, but your rugelachs look great! And it's a learning process. Next time it won't be so daunting. (That's what I'm telling myself.)

Wendy (pinkstripes) said...

Awesome! Your rugelach look tasty!

Leslie said...

Way to go! I'm exhausted just reading all the steps! They look great.

beti said...

they sound and look pretty good! I've never tried rugelach before and I'm excited to try these "cookies"

Zoe said...

Seems like this is an really interesting recipe to bake. I have not bake a Rugelach before and would love to bake this one day.

Jodie said...

Great job! You should be proud- these were time consuming. They look delicious!

Im At Home Baking said...

Looks yummy! I really enjoyed making these and glad it could be made over several days!

Michelle Stiles said...

Cindy, there is nothing as rewarding as a good healthy challenge! I agree, this made a lot of cookies, rich cookies. They were great but intensive. I might have ate the lekvar right out of the jar with a spoon....

Unknown said...

Funny poem! I often have to remind myself I join these online cooking groups to do something different. When you list out all the steps it DOES look even more daunting!

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

Cindy, your rugelach looks pastry shop perfect. It's one of my favorite treats with that rich cream cheese pastry and nutty filling.

barbiebharris said...

They look yummy! And...I love the poem!

barbiebharris said...

Glad you hung in there, they look yummy! And...I love the poem!

Jen said...

your rugelach looks delicious, and I loved the Shel Silverstein poem :)

Beth said...

Congratulations on making the rugelach! It looks delicious.

Cher Rockwell said...

Wow, when you list the steps, it does seem a little daunting, doesn't it?
Well done!

Katrina said...

What a great post, Cindy. Love the poem. I ate and ate and ate too many of these, too. Good thing I only made 1/4 the recipe. ;)

Cakelaw said...

LOL - I agree that there is no instant gratification here, but they are so good. Congrats - yours look superb.

Pamela said...

And you were a great success! Very well done.

Kayte said...

Such a fun post...loved every bit of it and so clever the way you did it all. The cookies look wonderful.