Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Skillet Chicken Tikka Masala

I have another new favorite cookbook. It is The Best Simple Recipes from America's Test Kitchen, it has over 200 flavorful, foolproof recipes that cook in 30 minutes or less. This is a fun cookbook--I have sticky notes on many pages. I like cookbooks from ATK because they tell me why things work, or don't. They have product reviews and a lot of interesting information. I read cookbooks like novels, this is a great read.
I also have a favorite new spice, it is garam masala. It is actually a blend of up to 12 spices, there are recipes to make your own but McCormick has done it for me. Their Garam Masala was the top pick of tasters. So here is a quick recipe with some wonderful flavors.
 Perfect for a busy summer evening when the crowd is hungry! My son would come home from a baseball game/practice and say, 'meat mom, I need meat'! This would keep him happy.


Skillet Chicken Tikka Masala
1 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes-if using regular dice put in the food processor for a minute
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small chunks. That is about about 1 1/2 lbs chicken or 11-12 frozen chicken tenders from Costco.
salt and pepper
1 T vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped fine
1 T garam masala
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup fresh cilantro

Season chicken with salt and pepper.  Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking.  Cook chicken until browned all over, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate.

Add onion to empty skillet and cook over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add garam masala, garlic, and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 second.  Add tomatoes and bring to simmer.  Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until slightly thickened , about 3 minutes.

Stir in cream and browned chicken, along with any accumulated juices, and simmer until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.  Stir in cilantro.  Season with salt and pepper.  Serve over rice.
This recipe is a least 5 stars, I'm excited to try more recipes from this cookbook.

5 comments:

Kayte said...

Love the look of this and will give it a try. Last month in My Kitchen My World the country to cook was India, so I discovered Garam Masala also and had a lot of fun with that. Too bad you didn't make this last month, you could have posted as it is a very low-key group, post what you want when you want. This month's country is USA!

TeaLady said...

THIS looks wonderful. Love Indian food and this one looks too good to be so easy. Gonna try this one.

Lynne Daley said...

Great looking dish and I'm sure it's delicious! My kind of food!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I just printed this recipe up and I can't wait to make it.

Cynthia said...

I just googled this recipe and up came your blog, thank you so much! I subscribe to cooksillustrated.com but they don't have this one on their website. Happy cooking! ~Cynthia