Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

TWD Strawberry-Rhubarb Double Crisp


I was excited to make this crisp. I was going to use garden fresh rhubarb, Mother Nature had other plans. It has been snowing off and on for the last two weeks--my fresh rhubarb is still a couple of weeks away. There was no rhubarb to be found, fresh or frozen in my smallish town.
But I do love a good crisp so I purchased a bag of Dole Frozen Mixed Berries with Cranberries. It was a good choice. This crisp begins with a simple flour, oatmeal, brown sugar and melted butter crust. It gets interesting when ground ginger and crystallized ginger are added. What a great flavor addition.
Half of the crisp mix is patted in a square baker. The bag of frozen fruit was sprinkled on top. This was topped with a yummy fresh strawberry filling. The remainder of the crisp was sprinkled on top. This smelled so good as it baked, fruit and ginger filled the air.
We ate it warm topped with a little ice cream. It contains enough fruit and oats to be a breakfast food too!
Out hostess this week is Sarah she will have the complete recipe on her blog. TWD bakers come up with great substitutions and variations. I'm always amazed with their creations, I learn so much each week.

22 comments:

Lynne Daley said...

Looks delicious with the mixed berries and that scoop of ice cream tops it perfectly. I'm hoping to make this by the eleventh hour today-have the fresh strawberries, but will have to search for the rhubarb.

Mary said...

Me too- I love to see all the variations that the TWD bakers cook up :).

Peggy said...

The mixed berries look really good. I used frozen rhubarb. Your crisp looks absolutely perfect. Just needs a nice cup of coffee to go with, right? YUM.

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

It looks beautiful! Love the idea of mixed berries - I know it was delish! :)

Valerie Gamine said...

Cranberries and strawberries sound like a delicious combination!

Your crisp looks delicious. :D

Jodie said...

I did mine with mixed berries, too, and it was fantastic! Yours looks great!

Nicole said...

Mixed berries would be great with this! I loved the ginger addition, I think it added the most.

KER said...

oh yummy...i was craving strawberry rhubarb pie...but this crisp looks sooo good...berries or s/r i think it will be delicious

Jodie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

Yum! I'm not a huge fan of cranberries on their own, but I bet the tartness was perfect here. I can't wait to make this with garden fresh rhubarb either!

Unknown said...

Great substitution! Thanks for baking along with me this week, and i hope you try this again when your rhubarb is ready!

Anne said...

I love your pictures, it looks so wonderful and delicious! Great job on the substitution, I think cranberries would be perfect. I need to get my act together and try rhubarb myself, all of these posts are making me feeling like I'm really missing out!

Tia said...

great job! the bag of mixed berries is a good call. i didnt do twd this week - too too busy moving jobs etc :(

Kayte said...

Great idea for the filling, I will try that as well as I am thinking of making another of these this weekend...it's going to be a "scoop and go" kind of weekend. Very nice photo.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This sounds fantastic despite the last minute ingredient change. I think the world loves crisps. Yours is a perfect example of why. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Cakelaw said...

Your crisp looks so good, and I think the tartness of the berries was a wonderful sub for the rhubarb.

Anonymous said...

Nice idea to use the mixed berries with cranberries. I wanted to use rhubarb too, but it's not quite in season yet.

Katrina said...

Yum! I'd love the mixed berries version.

Sue said...

Oh my, your crisp looks so delicious! I have never baked with rhubarb, but I think it's time to go for it:) Thanks for the inspiration.

Unknown said...

This is absolutely breakfast food! The berry/cranberry mix sounds wonderful. And your picture with the ice cream on top - yum!

Lyndsey Myers said...

Breakfast and dessert... love when one food can be both!

SnoWhite said...

That looks amazing!!!