Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Strawberry Lemon Creme Cake Cups


I often volunteer to bring dessert, I love a chance to try a new recipe or repeat an old favorite. Tonight was Relief Society and a springy dessert was in order, even if snow was in the forecast. I found a yummy looking recipe on Real Mom Kitchen--a trifle. A trifle is a beautiful dessert and makes a stunning center piece.  But I like the idea of an individual dessert so here is my version:

Strawberry Lemon Creme Cake Cups
1 (4 3/4 oz) pkg. Strawberry Danish dessert (found by the gelatin)
2 1/2 cup cold water
2 lb. fresh strawberries, sliced
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup milk
1 (3.4 oz) instant lemon pudding
zest of 1 lemon
1 (14 oz) angel food cake, cut into about 1 inch cubes

In a large microwave safe bowl, whisk together the danish dessert and cold water. Cover the bowl with a piece of waxed paper and microwave for 6 minutes, stirring every two minutes. Cool for a least an hour.
In a large bowl, whip the cream and milk until soft peaks form. Add the dry pudding to the cream mixture and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in the lemon zest.
Mix strawberries in the cooled danish dessert.
In 10 ounce clear cups layer cake cubes, danish and berries and lemon creme, repeat layers. This makes 15 servings. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. This could also be made in a Trifle Bowl.
I put the lemon creme in a pastry bag with a big tip, this was quick and looked pretty.


16 comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

These look like such fun! I love novelty style cupcakes. Yum!

Paul & Kaytie said...

They look beautiful and I am sure that are tasty too. We will have to give them a try one of these days. :)

Emily said...

Now I am even more disappointed I missed Relief Society this week. These look yummy and include some of my favorite things! Thanks for the idea and recipe.

Kayte said...

Those look so pretty and fun at the same time. I think I could do this one...really, I do! I bet people just lit up when they saw these. Happy Easter, dear friend!

Tia said...

they look fab! i always offer to bring dessert too.

Ali said...

What a beautiful and refreshing dessert. I love how you served them in cups.

Andi said...

Beautiful I prefer baking and desserts first andi

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Hi Cindy,

What a pretty and yummy looking treat! So nice stopping by to visit with you!

Kindly, Lorraine

Julie said...

What a great idea!! I love strawberry shortcake and this would be perfect for little hands :)

The Farm Girl

Julie E said...

Your cake cups are so spring-ish and happy! I want one right now...yes for breakfast. I'm hungry, what?

I'd love for you to come share at my first linky party!

http://whitelightsonwednesday.blogspot.com/2012/03/wednesday-whatsits-1-link-party.html

Alison Meade said...

These look so delicious! We're featuring you today at Bringing Beauty! Come by to check it out and don't forget to grab a featured button!

bringingbeauty.blogspot.com

Julie E said...

You've been featured on Wednesday Whatsits! Come by this week's party to grab your button. Thanks for linking up! I hope to see you again. :)

Amber @ DessertNowDinnerLater.com said...

Oh man these look delicious! Perfect combo! Thanks for sharing!
~Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later!

Krista said...

I have a tradition of strawberry shortcake for my birthday, because it's one of my favorites. This looks like such a fun take on an amazing classic. Love it :) Krista @ A Handful of Everything

Alexis AKA MOM said...

OMGosh that looks so yummy!! Stopping by from Sugar & Slice Sunday.

Amber @ DessertNowDinnerLater.com said...

So cute & yummy too I bet! Thanks for sharing at Sweet & Savory Saturdays #19!

~Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later!
http://www.dessertnowdinnerlater.com