Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Raspberry or Blueberry Squares


My good friend Nancy loves blueberries so it seemed only right to make her a great blueberry dessert for her birthday. We were going to lunch and I wanted something that I could hand out to our friends. These blueberry bars fit nicely in glassine envelopes.

I didn't have time to search through blogs and find something that might work, so I opened one of my American Test Kitchen cookbooks and found just the right recipe. I always enjoy reading just how and why ATK came up with the recipe they did. They test and test and then retest until it is perfect.I have yet to be disappointed. So I hope you enjoy Blueberry Squares, we did!





Blueberry Squares--American Test Kitchen
Lining the pan with foil is helpful on two accounts. It makes removal of the squares for cutting very easy (just lift the entire block and place it on a cutting board.), clean-up is a breeze. For even bars and a nice presentation trim 1/4 inch off the outer rim of the uncut block. The outside edges of all the cut squares will be neat




1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups quick cooking oats
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, almonds or a combination
12 tablespoons butter, cut in 12 pieces, softened but still cool
1 cup blueberry or raspberry preserves
1.  Adjust pan to lower middle and heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 inch square baking pan with Pam.Fold two 16 inch pieces of foil lengthwise to measure 8 inches wide. Fit one sheet in the bottom of the pan, pushing it into corners and up the sides of the pan.Fit the second sheet in the pan in the same manner, perpendicular to the first sheet. Spray foil with Pam
2.  In the bowl of a standing mixer, mix the flour, oats, sugars, baking soda, salt and nuts on low speed until combined, about 30 seconds. With the mixer running at low speed, add butter pieces, continue to beat until mixture resembles wet sand about 2 minutes. You will have a little over 5 cups of crumbs.
3.  Transfer 2/3 of the mixture to the prepared pan. Press the crumbs evenly into the bottom of pan, I use the bottom of a metal measuring cup. Bake about 20 minutes or until starting to brown. Using an offset spatula spread the preserves evenly over the bottom  crust. Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the preserves. Return to oven and bake until the preserves bubble around the edges and the top is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Rotating pan half way through. Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack for about 1 1/2 hours. Remove cool bars from the pan with foil handles, remove foil and transfer to a cutting board. Cut in squares 1 1/2x1 1/2 inches. Delish!

6 comments:

Cakelaw said...

These squares look delish Cindy. My mum used to make something similar with apricot jam in the middle.

Unknown said...

Cindy, I love these type of bars! :)

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

This looks fantastic!! Love your blog and so glad to be a new follower! xoxo

Rivki Locker said...

These look wonderful. American Test Kitchen always comes through for me too. Thanks for stopping by my blog - please let me know if you try my oatmeal bars in a peach version. That sounds just wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Another wonderful recipe - so happy to be following your blog! Delicious
Mary

Lisa | Authentic Suburban Gourmet said...

These look SO tasty! I adore bar cookie and glad that I stumbled onto your site - you have some great recipes!