Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

Coconut Pecan Chocolate Chunk Bars


There is nothing like an old friend. Linda, Sara and I go back too many years, we were college roommates. Luckily we have all found our way to the same county. We enjoy monthly lunches together, sometimes they are therapy sessions. we know each other, we care about each other and we feel safe with each other.
 Linda and Sara have been there for me thru good times and difficult times. Everyone needs such friends. I'm lucky!
We went to lunch last week, we don't often order dessert so I thought I would bring them a treat. My intentions were great; I just didn't give myself enough time! It's that little phrase 'let cool' that gives me heartburn.
I made the treats--they were delicious. I'll try again next month completely cooled!


Coconut Pecan Chocolate Chunk Bars
This is another awesome recipe from The Modern Baker Cookbook. It contained all the elements I love in one delicious bar. But please let it cool completely--I even put it in the refrigerator. It was beyond delicious.
Dough
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks softened butter
1/2 cup sugar
Topping
1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
4 large eggs
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups sweetened coconut
2 cups pecans, coarsely chopped
12 ounces bittersweet/semisweet chocolate chunks, cut in 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces
1 9x13 inch pan, buttered and lined with foil, buttered again.

1.  Set a rack on the lowest level, turn oven to 350 degrees.
2.  For the dough, dtir together the flour, baking powder and salt. set aside.
3.  Beat the butter with the sugar in an electric mixer with paddle attachment on medium speed. Beat about 3 minutes till light and soft.
4.  On the lowest speed add the flour mixture, continue to mix until dough is smooth
5.  Scrape dough in the prepared pan. Press the dough down evenly, without compressing it too much. Bake the dough aout 15 minutes until it is puffed and set.
6.  Set the pan on a rack. Meanwhile prepare the topping. Place the broown sugar in a bowl, use a rubber scraper and work in the four eggs, one at a time. Stir in the granulated sugar and vanilla, fold in coconut.and pecans. Fold in the chocolate chunks or chips.
7.  Scrape the topping onto the prebaked dough, using a small offset spatula.
8.  Bake until the filling is set and nicely colored, 25-30 minutes.
9.  Cool in the pan on a rack. Lift the slab of baked dough out of the pan and onto a cutting board. Cool completely before cutting--refrigerate if necessary.
10.  Prepare to be amazed, these are one awesome treat!
11.  Buy The Modern Baker by Nick Malgieri it is a cookbook that you will learn so much from.



























 

















































13 comments:

Nedra said...

I'm sure a warm treat just out of the oven with gooey chocolate was just heaven!

Unknown said...

OH.MY. this looks delicious!

Tia the Baker said...

that's a good cookbook. i have it but haven't made these (yet!)

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

Nothing beats a good friend and good dessert.

Cakelaw said...

These look so good Cindy - chocolate + coconut spells fabulous.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

YUM! These look like fabulous bars! And my friends have helped me though some tough times, too :)

Kristin@gratefulbelly.com said...

You have so many great recipes! These bars look so good :)

Sue said...

These bars look absolutely yummy! I love bars!

Little Mommy Kim said...

These look amazing! Great job!

Erin said...

Is it horrible that I want to eat these right now for breakfast??? They look wonderful!

momto8 said...

to me this is the perfect recipe!! thank you!

Gloria - The Ginger Snap Girl said...

Your post made me smile. I love getting together with girlfriends and sharing a treat!

Kayte said...

These are so going to be heading down to Bloomington in a package for Matt at college...thanks. I hope Max gets some, too. ;-)