Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

SRC Pistachio Cherry Ice Box Cookies




Being a member of the SRC gives one a chance to discover a new blogger. We get to 'stalk' their blog all month and then the difficult part; make just one recipe from their blog.
I had the honor to get to know Mindy from The World in My Kitchen. What a fun blog. Mindy has lived all over the world, this is definitely reflected in her dishes. Mindy also travels to France with her husband, a teacher. She shares posts about food she eats as she travels. Since I probably won't get to France I enjoyed the virtual experience.
I narrowed the recipes down to three; Crock-pot French Onion Soup, Dorie's Apple cake or Pistachio, Cherry Ice Box Cookie. No surprise, the cookies won--but the other two will be made in the near future!
I do love a good Ice Box Cookie, I think they have gone out of vogue in the cookie making circle. It's that 2 hour fridge time that stops many. Cookies are often instant gratification for me; I really want to cook them now!
But this little gem is certainly one worth waiting for. There is a hint of Orange Rind that plays perfectly with the Pistachios and Dried Cherries. I subbed Dried Cherries for the dried cranberries. I had a bag of KAF Dried Sweet Cherries--they are more than delicious!
The recipe comes together quickly, chill for two hours and then you are rewarded with the best cookie imaginable.Thanks Mindy, these, are excellent!



Pistachio Cherry Ice Box Cookies
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter
Zest from one orange
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup chopped pistachios
1/3 cup chopped dried cherries
1 egg lightly beaten
1/2 cup sanding sugar
In a small bowl mix together flour, cinnamon and salt. In mixer beat butter, orange zest and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Turn mixer to low and add flour mix in three batches. Add pistachios and cherries, mix gently. Divide dough in two. Form each half in a log about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap, refrigerate 2 hours.
Brush chilled cookie log with egg, roll in sanding sugar. Slice 1/4 inch thick. Bake on parchment lined sheet for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.



22 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look divine - Love the flavors - makes me think of summer!!
mary x

Gerry @Foodness Gracious said...

Wow pistachio cherry is an awesome combo from cookies to ice cream! Great SRC post and great to meet you!
Take care..

Jamie @ Cookin' with Moxie said...

I love the ease of making icebox cookies. What a lovely combination of flavors!

Eliotseats said...

Cindy---these look great. Ice box cookies always make me nostalgic. Great SRC post!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

What a fabulous recipe you chose. Those cookies should be called Temptation.

Unknown said...

That looks delicious!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Wow! I want to go make these right now! I have pistachios and dried cherries now. These sound incredible!

Mindy said...

We love these cookies...I'm glad you decided to make them! One of my favorite parts is that I can keep some in the freezer and slice them off as I need them. Next time I'm trying them with cherries! Thanks for a great post!

Teri said...

Pistachio and cherry! What a great combination! Can't wait to try these!

Unknown said...

My sister would LOVE these cookies! A combination of all her favorite things!

Lisa | Authentic Suburban Gourmet said...

Delish - I want to make very soon! Glad to be part of SRC group C with you!

Cakelaw said...

These cookies look amazing! Pistachios and cherries are a winning combination.

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, how yummy! I just adore dried cherries in cookies...so I know I'd love these gems :)

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

Great SRC recipe choice, Cindy. Ice box cookies are my favorite and I love having a roll or two in the freezer when I need cookies in a hurry. I've never made a pistachio Cherry version before and can't wait to try it.

Danielle said...

Icebox cookies remind me of my grandmother for some reason. The funny thing is that I don't remember her every making them, I just remember her talking about them! I love the pistachio/cherry combo. Yum!

Anne@FromMySweetHeart said...

What a great recipe from a great blog!

Art From My Table said...

Oh My! Pistachio's and cherries, 2 of my favorite things! I must try these! thanks for posting.

Beth said...

Those cookies look great! (And do try Dorie's apple cake. It's terrific too!)

Dawn @ Words Of Deliciousness said...

These cookies sound delicious. I love pistachio, but I never had them in a cookie, I will have to try this one.

Gloria - The Ginger Snap Girl said...

These sound delicious! I love a slice and bake cookie. P.S. I would have picked the cookies too!

beti said...

pistacio and cherries are such a great combo! your cookies look great

Lisa~~ said...

Pistachio and cherry together is such a wonderful combination, great looking cookies.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A' SRC entry: Broiled Sushi.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook