Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Creamy Baked Taquitos



I've come across recipes similar to this all over blog land. I needed to make taquitos for a party so I combined a few recipes and came up with one yummy taquito. I used a rotisserie chicken from Costco. I got 5 cups (that's after my son ate a chicken sandwich). So I adjusted the ingredients for 5 cups of chicken. I added extra cream cheese and green salsa because I don't like remnants hanging out in my fridge--they get lost. I also like cilantro so I added extra.
The end result was delicious! It made a big batch of filling. Plenty for our party and extras to put in the freezer. I love having a few delicious meals tucked away in the freezer for busy days.  I have used both flour and corn tortillas. They are both yummy, corn tortillas may explode if overfilled (I just may have overfilled a few).



Creamy Baked Taquitos
8 ounces softened cream cheese
7 oz can green salsa
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp onion powder
4 cloves garlic, minced
5 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
5 cups cooked chicken, shredded or finely chopped--canned chicken works well in this recipe
2 1/2 cups Mexican Cheese, shredded
small flour or corn tortillas, about 2 dozen
melted butter
kosher salt

In a large bowl mix the cream cheese, green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and garlic. Once it is mixed stir in the green onions and cilantro. Add the chicken and cheese, mix thoroughly.

Wrap tortillas in a couple moistened paper towels. Microwave until the tortillas are soft enough to roll, 30-45 seconds.

Scoop 2-3 Tbsp of the chicken mixture into the tortillas. Roll as tightly as you can. Avoid the temptation to overfill the tortillas, they will burst when cooked.

Place the rolled tortilla seam side down on the baking sheet. Make sure the taquitos are not touching each other . Brush lightly with melted butter and sprinkle with kosher salt.

Bake 15-20 minutes or until crisp and golden.

Serve with salsa, sour cream, or guacamole.

Need to make ahead?
The chicken mixture can be chilled until ready to assemble.
Assemble taquitos, chill, and wrap individually in plastic wrap. Freeze. To bake a frozen taquito cook at 425 for 20 minutes (no need to thaw).
Inspiration from Pennies on a Platter

13 comments:

Amber said...

I do love these taquitos! Thanks for the reminder, I'll have to make these this week!

Kristin@gratefulbelly.com said...

These look yummy, I love the Costco chicken, it's so tasty and easy!

Unknown said...

I love tacos so I can totally see myself LOVING these!!

Beth said...

These look delicious. Great meal!

Unknown said...

- A brownie a day keeps the monsters away is too cute! zuuzs is hosting a Spring Recipe Challenge and I'd like to invite you to join! It's a great opportunity for you to promote your blog and showcase your recipe in front of thousands of people. Plus, there are prizes including a $500 Gift Card for the Grand Prize and three $200 Gift Cards as the top Category prizes you can use to buy kitchen related wares.

Please visit this post full contest details and how you can participate: http://makobiscribe.com/2012/03/calling-all-cooks-come-join-the-grand-spring-recipe-challenge.html

Unknown said...

I have a similar recipe and we love it!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

This would be quite a treat for my family. Thanks for sharing it.

Cakelaw said...

These sound marvellous, and I bet they'd be good in work lunches.

Leslie said...

These look fantastic (and they sound super easy)! I love that they can be freezed and you can use rotisserie chicken. I think adding extra salsa to anything like this is best because there's no chance they could dry out.

Little Mommy Kim said...

These look so yummy! Glad to follow you!

Gloria - The Ginger Snap Girl said...

I've seen similar recipes and I always have good intentions to try them. But of course haven't gotten around to it yet. Using rotisserie chicken is a great idea.

Missy said...

Oh man! These look right up my alley! Thanks for sharing, Cindy!

Grandma Scott said...

This looks perfect to me. Of course I'll have to adjust it down, but it would be great to just take something out that was sooo good.\