Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Snickerdoodles

 \

I had a bad experience with Snickerdoodles when I was very young. It was my first year in 4-H and I was excited to enter a baked good in the fair. At my house you always double a recipe, 7 boys eat a lot of cookies.  All was going well, I had creamed my butter and sugar. I was mixing my dry ingredients when I mistakenly added 2 tablespoons of salt instead of 2 teaspoons!
Now my mother was very frugal--she figured out if we 3 times the double recipe it would work. And it did work and I was making Snickerdoodles forever!
Needless to say I have not made Snickerdoodles in 40 years! But hubby loves them and it's a fun cookie to make with the grand kids and I must have had a weak moment.
But the cookies turned out great and I enjoyed them. Try this cookie and make your family happy. But I only ever make single batches--because I can.
This recipe comes from Brown Eyed Baker


Snickerdoodles
2 3/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons cream of tarter
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks butter (1 cup) softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Heat oven to 350. Put a silpat or parchment sheet on your baking pan--put in refrigerator.
Whisk together the first four ingredients.
Cream softened butter and sugar for 3 minutes, add eggs one at a time, add vanilla.
Slowly add dry ingredients on low.
Chill dough for 30 minutes.
Roll in balls, I used a medium Pampered Chef Scoop. Then roll balls in mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
Put chilled dough on chilled cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Cool on sheet for 2 minutes, remove to cooling rack.

15 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

Oh, yum! They look wonderful. :))

Kayte said...

I had to laugh at your post...when my niece was in 4-H that first year and made the snickerdoodles, she made them at our house and came to me and said, "Can we go get some more cinnamon at the store as we don't have enough?" I said, "Sure," and headed out with her to the store. When we got to the spice aisle and I picked up the little can of cinnamon, she said, "Maybe we should get two of them as I am not sure that is 1/4 cup." What???? She had misread the recipe and thought she needed 1/4 cup instead of 1/4 teaspoon. We have never, ever let her live that down. LOL. 4-H was a wonderful teacher, no? I will be sure to share your story with her when I see her next...wait, I will just forward this post to her! Your cookies look wonderful, btw. Apparently snickerdoodles are a true test of one's ability in the kitchen at that age for 4-H.

Unknown said...

so funny!! I have never heard of doodles, of course in Spain we don't have all those amazing sweets, I'll have to try it at some stage!!

Susan at www.ugogrrl.com said...

These look amazing! I need a good Snickerdoodle recipe!

Susan at www.ugogrrl.com said...

These look amazing! I need a good Snickerdoodle recipe!

Kristin@gratefulbelly.com said...

I've been looking for a good Snicker Doodle recipe. Dad loves them. I remember being in 4H too, I guess we got our start early. And, I am in the "double everything" stage. It was fun reading your post!

Anonymous said...

My ten year old LOVES snickerdoodles so THANK you for such a yummy recipe.
Mary x

Nedra said...

Your story is just too funny. You don't know what you have been missing for the last 40 years. Snickerdoodle's are Amy and Dano's favorite cookie and I make them for them from time to time. I will have to try your recipe now!

Anonymous said...

looks tasty mama!!

Anonymous said...

Looks tasty!

Gloria - The Ginger Snap Girl said...

Ha! That's a funny story! Glad you decided to give snickerdoodles another try. They are so tasty!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

What a funny story...at least you didn't waste a thing! Your snickerdoodles look fabulous...and I'm sure your hubby was thrilled :)

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

Ha!! What a funny "mistake". That cracked me up. I seriously have never met a Snickerdoodle I didn't like. I am so happy you linked up at Mop It Up Mondays last week! Hope you have a fabulous weekend!

{HUGS},
kristi

Alison Meade said...

These look so yummy!

Thanks for joining our Beautify It Monday link party, We hope you'll be back next week!

-Four Sisters

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

These would go perfect with a cup of tea. They look delicious! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)